Wiring issues w my 91 d250 Eating Voltage regulators

barefootslim

Reaction score
Hey Howdy boys and girls,:sly
My 1st gen 250 is eating voltage regulators!
I took it down to Memphis the other day and when I popped the hood to show the motor off, a friend pointed out that my battery was smoking from the vent caps ( minor amount?!?!?!?!) :confused:Imagine my suprise and their amused looks!;ReallyLOL:rotflmaoWhen I first got it about a month or so ago it needed a new regulator then. I put one on and every thing calmed down. the ammeter went back to normal etc... I did pop the right front head light (quit werkin) the only other problem I noticed was when I tried to go from low to high beam by tripping the stalk trigger the lights went out completly when put on high beam!:eek: any who, yaw'll know any thing about it?:confused: I had the alternator off and checked, it's good :thumbsup: the charging system looks OK ~ wires and all not patches other than t:thumbsup:he trailer brakes being added at some point,t be:confused::confused::confused: migh dunno what it might be:confused::confused: if any one out there in the inner web world can throw me a bone I'd dig it:thumbsup:
:

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
When you replace it scrape the paint off of the firewall where the screws mount so it will get a good ground. That's what my buddy at the alternator shop told me to do when I was blowing them about every 4- 6 months. It's been over a year now since I replaced the last one. It was so bad at one time that I just carried a spare with me. It only took two minutes to swap them out.

barefootslim

Reaction score
Yeah, it's easy swap on it,
I'm just hoping the ground situation is the only problem on the wiring.
The scuttlebutt around here at HARDEES is the wiring harnesses in the first gens ain't that hot.... or cool as it were

garyjohnston

Reaction score
I have wiring issues atleast once a month, more often than that most of the time. 90% of the time it is a ground problem or wires are just to old and rusted and corroded. To be honest im surprised anything works how rough they ride. I love it though. Best of luck to you, I suggest checking grounds and conditions of the wires. Another thing I have done that has cut down on most of my blowing fuses and inline fuses n stuff like that is I put an extra ground on it. I just took a piece of relatively small wire and ran it from the neg. side of battery to a ground somewhere where the hood latches by wrapping it around a screw and drilling it in. Funny thing is, if I don't have this extra ground my gauges go funky swaying all over, and lights flicker. And ive checked the other ground from the battery