Will heat transfer oil work for fuel

David23

Reaction score
I have access to barrels of this stuff used. If I process it right do you think I could run it in my 90 7.3 IDI?

You must be registered for see images attach

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is by no means an endorsement, recommendation or statement: pure opinion spoken here.

It appears that the flashpoint and auto ignition temperatures are pretty similar to hydraulic oil. I have burned plenty of hydraulic oil in an IDI.

If it was me, I'd do a couple of things:

Throw a known buna seal like an oring into a small container and see if has any effect on the seal after a couple of days at room temperature.

If the backyard seal test passes, I'd try a small batch, like a gallon or two mixed 50/50 in one fuel tank to see if there's any starting/running/driveability issues. If there are, you can pump it out of that segregated tank, or you could just fill that tank with straight diesel knowing that you've got a 15ish to one mixture in there.

I think you'll be ok based on the fact that everything seems to point to the fact that this is a petroleum based fluid and IDI's typically drink those pretty well, but this stuff is also reportedly very stable at elevated temps, which makes sense as it's a heat transfer oil. Again, this is complete speculation on my behalf.

Good luck and report back your findings.

David23

Reaction score
Nice response. Thank you. It isn't as thick as hydraulic oil. I will start off in the direction you pointed me in. Thanks again!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming it passes the o-ring test, I'll bet it'll work just fine. Looks to be just hydrocarbon oil.