Will a 99 automatic trans and motor fit in a 92?

Jbone36

Reaction score
Hey all...ive been reading that they will bolt right up with but with slight electrical modifications but my question is this..

The 92 f350 had a powerstroke with serpentine belt previously as well as firewall beat in tuto accommodate turbo so im assuming the pcm was changed..would the transmission have had to be modified during that install? and how to tell?

Reason im asking is i want to pull whole engine and trans out of donor "99 f250 rebuilt trans 30,000 ago"

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The '99 trans is a 4R100. I think it will fit fine, but will not work properly with a 92 PCM, if the wiring even plugs together. I looked at 4R100 options briefly when I had my '97 E350.

93didually

Reaction score
You would have to "fit" the 99 wiring to your cluster and plug locations on the firewall, or use the 95-97 complete wiring and convert the injectors to single shot. Not sure if the solenoid pack in the trans would have to changed or not. Was your 92 converted to powerstroke? If that's the case, you already have the hard to find things. Most importantly the 99 has split shot injectors and the 95-97 have single shot.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To use 4r10p with obs powerstroke wiring harness you will have to use E4od solinoid pack and change front pump from pwm to on/off for converter lockup. Is your 92 really a powerstroke or 7.3 idi?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all...ive been reading that they will bolt right up with but with slight electrical modifications but my question is this..

The 92 f350 had a powerstroke with serpentine belt previously as well as firewall beat in tuto accommodate turbo so im assuming the pcm was changed..would the transmission have had to be modified during that install? and how to tell?

Reason im asking is i want to pull whole engine and trans out of donor "99 f250 rebuilt trans 30,000 ago"

what year powerstroke/trans was transplanted into the 92? If you locate the PCM the box code may tell the story.

Jbone36

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies..im going to check out the pcm code.. positive it had a powerstroke. Im to assume that it had an early powerstroke due to the year and all the parts less engine on in the back and the turbo is there.. previous owner told me it had a serpentine belt..as far as the split shot is that just a matter of changing injectors or is there another way since i have donor truck and wiring is already set for powerstroke can i swap pcm and some other parts over?

Jbone36

Reaction score
Get a picture of the engine.
Powerstroke didn't come out until 1994.5.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Bought the ambulance without the engine..all the parts were in the back turbo etc.. the guy i bought it from said there was a powerstroke in it..which makes sense due to the firewall being being banged in to make room for turbo..as a matter of fact a while back i bought a 6.9 from a guy who told me it was a powerstroke "i was a little more ignorant then" well thats debatable.. but long story short electrical diddnt match thats why i am where i am now..now that my truck is wrecked figured i would put it in the ambulance and finally finish this project with fierce determination.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I'm just stating this because a firewall mod doesn't 100% mean powerstroke....

I don't believe the firewall is banged-in on any turbo 90's Ford truck (PSD or IDIT)... although I bet it helps a bunch for turbo re&re. On OBS Powerstrokes it was common to beat/cut/massage the pinch weld between the firewall and floor for a larger, rounder downpipe. This may even hold true for aftermarket exhaust on the IDIT.

Jbone36

Reaction score
I'm just stating this because a firewall mod doesn't 100% mean powerstroke....

I don't believe the firewall is banged-in on any turbo 90's Ford truck (PSD or IDIT)... although I bet it helps a bunch for turbo re&re. On OBS Powerstrokes it was common to beat/cut/massage the pinch weld between the firewall and floor for a larger, rounder downpipe. This may even hold true for aftermarket exhaust on the IDIT.
So maybe it was a 7.3 non turbo from 93 and they added a turbo?..the guy that sold it to me had pulled all the parts off and put them in the back some of which is turbo alternator etc.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill have to get a pic of it this weekend as its in my Buddy's yard..if i remember it was Garret

A 7.3 IDI is pretty obvious from a 7.3 PSD, since the IDI will have the injector lines visible, while the PSD will have nothing but the valve covers showing on top.

I'd bet it's a turbo'd IDI unless someone did a lot of work to swap it over to a PSD

Jbone36

Reaction score
A 7.3 IDI is pretty obvious from a 7.3 PSD, since the IDI will have the injector lines visible, while the PSD will have nothing but the valve covers showing on top.

I'd bet it's a turbo'd IDI unless someone did a lot of work to swap it over to a PSD
Well im not sure about what the work and cost for ambulance company but what i do know is that the wiring was different on the 6.9 that I have but this weekend im going to take some pics of it all and report back to all you helpful cats

Jbone36

Reaction score
But at ths point im pretty sure im going to have to gut both trucks harness dash trans and all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online