Why is diesel #2 of various colors?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I've noticed recently that the color of diesel#2 varies. I've seen pale blue, pale lemonade color and an oily yellowish variety. Within a single company say Chevron for example, the colors vary as well. Isn't the formula for #2 standard in the industry? I get my best MPGs with the yellowish variety. Could there be more sulphur in the yellow fuel? I'm...:confused:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
hheynow,
The only colors I have seen are the basic amber in various shades and the dyed off road stuff.

We know the red dye is so they can identify no-taxed from taxed
highway fuel.

One thing I AM sure of is that diesel is not as closely regulated
as the octane rating for gasoline is regarding the cetane rating.

Cetane rating for diesel is the minium flash point for combustion.

The minium rating for acceptable diesel {and what will void any power/economy issues at the stealerships} is 45.

I say that because when I was with Detroit Diesel , there were
many warranty/power +smoke issues declined after the fuel was tested....

Now before the axe drops...That was not MY policy....;)

I have seen high 30's to low 50's all from the same vendor.
Ever wonder why sometimes you get phenominal fuel mileage, yet the next time you fill up and drive the same trip/way you get crappy mileage?

Several years{OK, 25 or so;) } they tried a mixture called "dieseline".......didn't go over too well then they tried a corn mix and if memory serves was considerd the first bio-diesel.

That's all I gots.........
:D

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per EPA regs the refiners pretty much are kicking out fuels with the same sulfur contents. The most economical thing for the refiner to do is to produce a fuel with whatever the maximum amount of sulfur allowed by EPA is, this requires the least amount of processing. The coloration differences you are noticing are most likely proprietary additives that refiner adds to make the fuel "better" than that of the next refiners fuel. We like to call it mouse milk, you'll never get the real inside answer on what those additives are. Trade secrets and all that good stuff. Very common in the petro-chemical industry, even on an MSDS sheet they dont have to completley disclose what the mouse milk is.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker
The coloration differences you are noticing are most likely proprietary additives that refiner adds to make the fuel "better" than that of the next refiners fuel.
Mike, I use Chevron diesel #2 exclusively because I have a Chevron company fuel card. Why does the color vary within Chevron #2? Are they color blind ? LOL
Geo, I wasn't referring to red dyed off road diesel...just the overly taxed lemonade...LOL

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Geo, I wasn't referring to red dyed off road diesel...just the overly taxed lemonade...

I figgerd' that:D I just added some relatively mundane info regarding the cetane.........thought that might have some bearing on color:sorry:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Geo, I wasn't referring to red dyed off road diesel...just the overly taxed lemonade...

I figgerd' that:D I just added some relatively mundane info regarding the cetane.........thought that might have some bearing on color:sorry:

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I know it varies around here the same way. The reason for the variance up here is that most of the diesel comes from the same place regardless of who's station it is. We have north jersey refineries and Philadelphia refineries here and it just depends on what way the gas hauler came from.
I know people who run fuel up here so I get this info from a good source.
Ken

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Originally posted by Swany
Have you noticed that it tastes different too Richard?LOL LOL
Yup, The pale green lemonade variety tastes best through my sippy cup...:D

Attachments

• rubbermaid.jpg
    rubbermaid.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

JimmyDee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you purchase Amoco Premier from BP, you will always have a consistent clear, colorless look to it. It is refined so well it is clear. The more yellow it becomes, it is usually a sign it is getting old. In the summer, when they turn the refineries to making more gas than #2, they take out of the #2 some of the goodies that will give you extra power and mileage. That is another reason the color is different.
Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online