Who's using 2 cycle oil with their Diesel?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I've been using a combination of Power Service and WalMart 2cycle for about 6 years in my VW Rabbits. I consider the 2cycle is for lubricity at the IP and the Power Service is for performance and injectors. The only reason I'm using Power Service is because I picked up several gallons at a garage sale!
With super low sulphur diesel- I think that the lubricity issue is significant for our Injection Pumps. Now that I have a 6.9L Navistar, I'm using the same approach. I've also heard and believe that Marvel Mystery Oil is a good fuel additive but it isn't cheap.

Gotta watch the red stuff in your fuel. From what I have heard, if they "stick" your tank and it shows red, it is up to you to prove your innocence. Apparently, just having red in your tank proves your guilt! :)

idhoho

Reaction score
Ya know, I've often thought about the red in road diesel and carrying a bottle of Marvel at all times. I have not gone to farm diesel yet but with the prices that we are being charges for the "dregs" of gasoline production, it is tempting to keep Marvel in the truck and point to it if stopped by the EPA.:angel:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the background info. It revealed some interesting facts. I think the used motor oil ratio is way too low to be meaningfull for me. Some of the other ratios were off a bit also. I think it would have been more meaningfull if they had used the same ratio for all the tests. I'd also say they would have possibly been better off just grabbing different samples off the store shelves instead of getting the manufacturers involved. Who knows what kind of samples they got! Still, it seems to be a very well conducted study. As with all things in science, you can either take it at face value, or challenge it and do an alternate study. Sure makes Biodiesel attractive though, for a variety of reasons. If you want to run red stuff in your tank, just mix it with used motor oil. Seems a gallon of WMO will pretty much turn everything black for quite a while. LOL

bentwings

Reaction score
Looks to me that 2% bio is the best thing going. We have it without choice here in Minn. While b100 is not exactly cheap nor readily available here I think I'd go the long mile to have it for an additive.

2 stroke for me otherwise. Former Power Service advocate.

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
Looks to me that 2% bio is the best thing going. We have it without choice here in Minn. While b100 is not exactly cheap nor readily available here I think I'd go the long mile to have it for an additive.

2 stroke for me otherwise. Former Power Service advocate.

Pretty much. B5 is all you need to return the lubricity lost to ULSD.

Depends on what I find and where I find it. Couldn't find bio to save my ass in Wisconsin last week; local place I was getting B20 quit carrying it because the bio-refiner in the area shut down (soy beans got to expensive to make it at an affordable price).

The truck got better economy on the B20, but doesn't do too bad on ULSD doped up with TCW3 and Power Service...

I think bio-diesel's time has come and gone, to be honest...
Ford only certifies their engines for use on B5, so why bother?
GM has taken no public position that I know of
Dodge "says" B2 is ok, (again, why bother?) but a friend of mine at a local Dodge dealership said if there's bio in the tank, your engine warranty job sits there untill the Chrysler Service Rep gets back to inspect it and most claims are being denied

Several states are doing fuel checkpoints, and guys brewing their own are paying heavy fines...

so the deck is stacked against bio all the way around..

Last edited:

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
Gotta watch the red stuff in your fuel. From what I have heard, if they "stick" your tank and it shows red, it is up to you to prove your innocence. Apparently, just having red in your tank proves your guilt! :)

Around here, if they stick your tank and it's red, you're an automatic guest of the Greybar Hotel for "illegal transport of hazardous materials".
The Bomb Squad and Haz Mat teams rip apart your vehicle, Officer Obie sticks his finger somewhere a only a doctor should, and you get this Omaha Orange jumpsuit to wear...

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dodge not covering cummins engines under warranty running biodiesel is crap. I work for a company that sells products powered by the 6.7 cummins. These engines run just fine with 100% bio. Have many customers doing it. Just another OEM trying to duck and run because they are stuck with the warranty costs. All self servicing OEM's are playing this card. Getting tired of hearing that nobody wants to own up to their own responsibilities.

JRF

Reaction score
Will any 2 cycle oil do, or is TC-W3 rated stuff the way to go?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Will any 2 cycle oil do, or is TC-W3 rated stuff the way to go?

From what I've read use ash less marine grade 2-cycle oils. Don't know of any brands off hand because I use biodiesel exclusively.

dslmechanic

Reaction score
I have been busy rebuilding the fuel systems on powerstrokes and some cummins the past few months due to these farmers buying Bio from a private producer and some thing is not right in there mixture because it has destroyed enough trucks and tractors around me that I have been snowed under. I think Bio can be good if it is proprly refined.. I am gonna try this 2 cycle in my trucks I think it could be beneficial.. Won't run red off road due to DOT checking our tanks aruond here . Also heard the guy's producing Bio fuel here filed bankruptcy to protect them from the lawsuits filed against them.. Kevin

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I agree. I won't put homebrew bioD in my truck. Can't count on these newbies washing and drying it completely. Fortunately I have a reputable commercial B99 supplier.

JRF

Reaction score
From what I've read use ash less marine grade 2-cycle oils. Don't know of any brands off hand because I use biodiesel exclusively.

Thanks. I was just curious because everything I have read, guys were talking about using TC-W3 rated 2 cycle. I don't recall anyone saying that universal 2 cycle is a no no.