Who's using 2 cycle oil with their Diesel?

CHPMustang

OilBurners Staff
Reaction score
Like the title says who all's adding this to their Diesel fuel? We been using it for about 2 months with positive results:thumbsup:

Supertech from Walmart is what I been using,just got some Quicksilver for next month.

CHPMustang

OilBurners Staff
Reaction score
Walmart is about $16 a half gallon for Power Service and $9 for the gallon of Supertech 2 cycle.

I add one ounce 2 cycle to each gallon Diesel.

Both Power Service and Stanadyne are gathering dust on the shelves now here.

Here's the lubricity ranking chart,testing was done by an individual.

Attachments

• Additives tested.jpg
    Additives tested.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 295

tgatch

Reaction score
There has been a big discussion at a couple diesel sites about the use of 2 cycle oil.

I can see using Power service as an occasional maintenace to clean out the injectors. But I don't believe I'd want to run it in every tank.

I have been using 2 cycle oil in the Mercedes for a few tanks now. I started with a 100:1 mix and am now using a 128:1 mix. Idle seems to be smoother and my avg MPG has gone up slightly. (5 tanks prior to 2 cycle oil 24.14mpg , 5 tanks since 2 cycle oil 25.13)

rubberfish

Reaction score
I've used 2 cycle oil in the past. It didn't seem
to hurt anything, and it does lubricate. ;Sweet

As of late I've been using Stanadyne performance
stuff. But at $5 a tank for a treatment, which I've
been grumbling about for a while, and seeing no
difference in anything, I'll be going back to 2 cycle
when this case of stanadyne runs empty. :backoff

I've also been known to dispose of my used oil
this way as well. There's not much else like
tossing one or two gallons of oil in the tank. :rotflmao

CHPMustang

OilBurners Staff
Reaction score
The chart indicates the amount of lubricity properties of each additive/oil/fuel to basic pump Diesel fuel.

Best on the chart 2% BioDiesel bottom of the chart Primrose Power Blend.

I would stay within the Top 9 on the chart personally.

The testing was done only for lubricity.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
What about using a well filtered blend of 10% waste motor oil/ATF?

why just 10% i have run up to about 40% or more with no problems. just smokes some more and smells like you have bad rings. for the price of changing my oil i like getting it back in fuel.

you can run a higher percent but i dont have a good steady supply to do so.

aaklingler

Reaction score
Is there a negative side to 2 cycle oil? From the chart motor oil has the same lubricity as diesel fuel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was surprised used motor oil ranked so low. I was also surprised to see that some of the more common players were not listed on the chart, such as Howes Diesel Treat, and common ATF. I'd like to know more about how the tests were conducted, and I'd also like to see the findings verified. Anybody can throw an authoritative looking chart out on the internet and have people think it is gospel. Nice chart, and nice info though... if it's accurate and true. The problem with most of those additives is they do nothing for anti-gel, and anti-bacteria growth. A true fuel treatment adds more value than lubricity alone, so the cost per gallon may go way up if you're fuel system gunks up on you because you skimped on protection.

idhoho

Reaction score
I've been using a combination of Power Service and WalMart 2cycle for about 6 years in my VW Rabbits. I consider the 2cycle is for lubricity at the IP and the Power Service is for performance and injectors. The only reason I'm using Power Service is because I picked up several gallons at a garage sale!
With super low sulphur diesel- I think that the lubricity issue is significant for our Injection Pumps. Now that I have a 6.9L Navistar, I'm using the same approach. I've also heard and believe that Marvel Mystery Oil is a good fuel additive but it isn't cheap.