Who sells a good glow plug controller?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one On my truck now was on it when I bought the truck in 2012. Seems like a decient lifespan but I dont know what brand it is.

Its beginning to do weird things so I'm assuming it's the controller.

Local ford dealer will not talk to you if your car is over 10 years old. Period! Even if you have a part number.

Stuck with napa,azone,orileys and pep boys. Do any of them sell a good one? Or just chinese junk?

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Dunno man, but get the dern cover that comes with it! That zig zag gets really hot and can melt your brand new throttle cable causing lots of hate and discontent....

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Build your own. Get a 506-902 Stancor solenoid and a 12v timer relay. Set the relay for 10 seconds and either set it to trigger via key on or a push button.

Key on, the relay will cycle the glow plug solenoid for 10 seconds or push the button once and it will do the same. Nearly bomb proof setup built with quality parts for less then the cost of a new controller.

shawn deere

Reaction score
Build your own. Get a 506-902 Stancor solenoid and a 12v timer relay. Set the relay for 10 seconds and either set it to trigger via key on or a push button.

Key on, the relay will cycle the glow plug solenoid for 10 seconds or push the button once and it will do the same. Nearly bomb proof setup built with quality parts for less then the cost of a new controller.
I kinda dig this idea. I bet a thermostat could be used too so it dont cycle when its 107* out.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've still have 2 of the OEM GP controllers. PM me if you want one for info.

shawn deere

Reaction score
Now were talking.
Key on power going to
12volt rv water heater thermostat going to
12volt timer going to
Trigger voltage on an additional starter solenoid going to
Glow plugs. / wait to start light.
Bullet proof. And you wont have to coach everyone thats gonna drive your pickup. This is now on the bucket list.

Someone pry should wright up a 'how to' on this deal;Sweet

shawn deere

Reaction score
I've still have 2 of the OEM GP controllers. PM me if you want one for info.
Didnt mean to leave you hangin. Had a gpc laying around, just got it installed last night and shes working like a champ now

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't need an RV water heater sensor... just use a standard coolant temp switch that is normally closed and opens in the 140F-160F range. Run the ground for the timer relay through that switch so as long as coolant temp is below 140-160, the relay will be grounded and will trigger the glow plug solenoid. Above 140-160 and the relay cant function.

That Stancor relay is bomb proof. Kinda pricey (~$55) but is rated for 200a continuous and 600a inrush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965