Who has had allison Problems?

ynotracing2221

Reaction score
I have some ford ranger driving needle D*CK know it all at work trying to tell me the allison trans. is over rated..... So I would like to know how many of you out there can tell me if you have had problems and what they were? thank you all.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Tell needle d*ck to mind his own business. Especially on matters he doesn't know about. Here's my experience and my opinion from a lot of research. The Ally is by far the best tranny going right now. Unfortuantely, the DMax is so easy to increase power output from, that I think a lot of people forget about the transmission. The Ally is only designed to handle about 100 more horsepower than stock and that is easily surpassed. This may be where ranger boy gets his info. People are modifying the engine and neglecting the transmission. Unfortunately, it looks like it takes about $2-3K to upgrade the Ally to where it will handle those high power upgrades.

Personally, I'm just sticking with an exhaust upgrade and cleaning up the stock airbox for now. It's got plenty of power for me. I'm just looking for better sound. Plus I'm not taking the chance of voiding the warantee on a $15K engine. Unless you do the Allison recommended upgrades to qualify for their extended warantee (Allison not GM), the transmission is only waranteed for 36K miles anyway. That's plenty of time to upgrade the transmission before I reach 100,000 on the engine.:D

Tom

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Tell ranger boy to backup to my F700 & we'll chain them together -- see what that allison can do!!!!!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ranger Boy doesn't even deserve a response but if he insists hook him up to a 20k trailer and see how the Ranger tranny does in the mountains...Hope he has AAA:rotflmao ......Tell him you'll tow the trailer back for him.;Really

In the Army all of our 2-1/2 ton trucks and up had Allison trannies. In 2 years of combat in Afghanistan and Iraq our Battalion didn't lose even one of them;Sweet , can't say the same for the GM trannies in the Hummers.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what do you think will end up behind the DMAX now that GM has sold Allison?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what do you think will end up behind the DMAX now that GM has sold Allison?

The same Allison transmission. The production facility in Baltimore that GM uses to build the transmissions for pick up trucks and SUVs is staying with GM.

From Allison Transmission here

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
The same Allison transmission. The production facility in Baltimore that GM uses to build the transmissions for pick up trucks and SUVs is staying with GM.

From Allison Transmission here

Good to know information.

A little off topic (actually a lot off topic), but did you know that Allison also makes the engines for C-130's (and P-3's for you Navy types). Obviously not the transmission branch, but the same company. I wonder if that is staying with GM. ;Really

Tom

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
allisons are fine with a stock motor, nothing else, after that you need a 5 star converter, co-pilot, valvebody, and clutch packs. ive seen ALOT fail due to over powering.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
allisons are fine with a stock motor, nothing else, after that you need a 5 star converter, co-pilot, valvebody, and clutch packs. ive seen ALOT fail due to over powering.

All those are on the wish list. Course I have to pay the thing off before I can modify it...that is according to my financial manager.LOL

Tom

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score

That's not exactly true... All except the LBZ cant take 90 hp over stock all day long, the LBZ/LMM is on borrowed time at that level since it already has 60 more HP stock. I've got a friend that ran 500hp through his and it lasted for 2 yrs...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online