Whitish/blue smoke

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since I put the 6.9 i my truck it has had a bluish white smoke at idle and at take off.

It was covered up a little bit when I had bad injectors, but has been more noticiable since I put new ones in that I bought from Russ.

At first I was figuring that the smoke was coming from a worn injection pump, but Ive swapped 3 of them on and off of the truck. The smoke level has gone down a bit with pump I have now, but it still there.

The smoke itself smells like raw fuel.

Ive cleaned the cdr valve and run diesel kleen and atf every tank.

I figured that the bluish smoke was from bad valve seals, but would that cause the exhaust to smell like raw fuel?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent had this pump timed, but Diesel JD came down and timed the last one. It helped the problem, but it didnt go away.

Im going to try and advance the timing a little bit today and see if that helps any.

It doenst sound like it did when it was timed last.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i would start with that and if it doesent help, make shure their is no air getting in the system it will change the timing as well, and create white smoke/ rough idle depending on how much is getting in

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Id be up for that, I just need to find some time that will work for both of us.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I do not mean to intrude, but this is exactly what my truck does too. Especially since I'm about to do a timing adapter swap, I REALLY need some timing, and the shops here are charging an arm, a leg, and a firstborn child for this service. I haven't seen any other South AL folks here, so I would consider a trip to the Sunshine State if you guys can help me out.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably longer than you would like to wait, but make plans to come to Illinois this summer and get your truck timed at the 2010 IDI Weekend. ;Sweet

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Probably longer than you would like to wait, but make plans to come to Illinois this summer and get your truck timed at the 2010 IDI Weekend. ;Sweet

I for one would love to, but the fuel cost for me would approach the shop's fee...esp. with my gears and poopy timing. Doing my best to get this thing into shape for the highway, but it's not going well :(

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smolkin, Im sure we could all work something out for a get together.

I know there were a few other members that were trying to get a get together planned for central Fl at some point in time. Shoot JD and pm and find out what times would work best for the both of you and let me know.

Does your truck have a rattle at idle or is it pretty quite?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty flexible this time of year I get busier in the spring/summer when my insect trapping business is also taking up my time, right now it's just a couple work days a week and one graduate class at UF. Even if Billy and I come a bit north from Mobile it would be a LONG haul for you. I'm 3 hrs east of Tallahassee if that gives you any better idea. Most folks say it's 6 hrs from here to Mobile/Pensacola. But if we can work out a time and place I would be more than happy to time your truck gratis. I use luminosity timing and will put it wherever you want it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Billy's question is important if it clatters hard at idle that means you're probably running way too far advanced, when we timed his truck it was around 2.5*BTDC with the luminosity method at 1400. Normally this would be extremely advanced and damaging to the glow plugs and more, but his pump was very worn apparently. I let him move it as far as he wanted to and I think we wound up at about 0.5-1*BTDC at 1400 and it was much smoother and most of the white smoke had gone away. At the same time this cost him some power if I remember right? Now I notice that you have some SVO mods in your sig...are you burning SVO or just setting up the system? Timing is affected by the amount of wear on the pump and injectors and the fuel type(cetane # and btu/unit content) in addition to the position of the IP drive gear and IP itself. You probably already knew that and I am far from an expert but I know the newbies read these old threads and a clear explanation is good for them.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
At idle it's loud but not clattering, mostly ticking from the injectors, which I suspect are original. The pump is 5 months old, it is a brand-new pump from Test Calibration here in Mobile, they are a certified Stanadyne dealer. I put it on and ear-timed it myself, and I know what you mean by clatter, because I had that before I got it where it is now. Although I was running WVO last year before the pump replacement, I haven't since as I am going to work out the kinks before I try it again. I think I can make it to Tallahassee, maybe further, but my top speed is only 55-60. Like I said, as time and money allow, I'm working on that (if anyone has a 3.08 rear lying around bring it with!) and hope to have it solved soon. I work all the time, but I can make time if we set it up in advance. You guys are super awesome, by the way.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Can you post the day and time that meeting will take place at Diesel JD's place, please? I would like to go with my '86 F350; I'm puttting a rebuild engine this week in it and will be great if I can have the time checked too. Of course I will pay Diesel JD for his service. I'm only two hours away and will be great to meet some of you guys.
Burt.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible for one of the moderators to create a temporary sticky at the top of the tread in regards to setting up a meet here in Florida?

We would need to come up with a time and date that leaves enough time for members that are frequently on the board to view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online