White smoke

Wyatt Bird

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new so I hope I’m doing this right, but I have a 1987 f250 6.9 with 1st gen banks turbo. I’m having white smoke come out when it’s idleing and when I give it gas it puts some grey and white smoke, sometime I get a little black. Any ideas will work. Thanks

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Is it white or more of a bluish color? It sounds to me like your timing is on the retarded side. The black is probably normal. It's most likely the unburned fuel as you rev it up. When you rev it quickly, you will give it more fuel than there is air to burn all of the fuel. For a short time anyway.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the IP sticks internally, you get this massive retardation and, yeah, you get white or blue smoke. Basically, the IP is either shot or at least stuck internally.

You can:
1. attempt to clean/unstick it using the ATF trick(fill fuel filter with ATF, run for a minute, shut it off and wait overnight, then run it hard.
2. Just plain advance the timing enough to compensate. This works, not perfectly, but it'll get you a decently drivable vehicle if you get things adjusted as best you can.
3. Replace the IP; get something that actually has it's timing 'circuits' working correctly.

Wyatt Bird

Reaction score
Yea it’s alittle more on the bluish side. Ok I will look at the IP and see what is going on. THANKS!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sounds like pump timing then. Try turning the pump about the width of a dime toward the passenger's side. This will slightly advance the timing. In case you don't know, DO NOT do this while the engine's running. I've seen one lock up while running and although all three nuts were tight, the pump still moved clear over to the driver's side. This would hurt if it happened while you were trying to advance the timing.

Wyatt Bird

Reaction score
Ok so I tried ajusting the pump timing and it’s still putting grey/white smoke. I going to try the IP next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online