White smoke on Rear Tank Only?

pabair

Reaction score
I have an '89 F250 that just started smoking a few days ago and running rough. I do understand that white smoke usually means air in the system so I checked under the hood and couldn't find anything right away. Then I switched to the front tank and it immediately stopped smoking and running fine.
Where or how could I be getting air in the fuel from just the rear tank?

Thanks
Pabair

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
If switching tanks does the trick then some thoughts.

1) Test your theory to make sure you are correct. Switch tanks back and see if you have the same issue again and switching again makes it go away. VS it was just the air cleared as you switched tanks.
2) If the issue does not return, then wait till it starts again.
3) If it does return and switching back solves it again then-
a) If you have less than a half tank or don’t know, fill up the problem tank at least half way. Why, because the shower head may have fallen off the steal feed tube and creates fuel starvation below say 1/4 of a tank. Fill up and test again.
b) Pull some diesel from that bad tank and look, smell, swish. Your want to look for air, water, or the smell of gasoline. It is not uncommon for delivery trucks to put gas in the diesel storage tank. It’s not uncommon for water to get into those tanks.
c) You will want to keep in mind it could be the tank switch valve. (Not switching all the way or has a crack.). Keep that in mind but usually that is a different symptom. Truck idles rough, bucks while driving, or dies.
d) So if one tank works and the other does not. The air leak is between the tank switch valve and gas tank pick up that causes the issue. So you will be looking for a air leak between. You may be looking for a clog or a pinch in the line as well.

Let us know what you find and send some pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online