White smoke no start

Steve1986idi

Reaction score
So need HELP!! 1986 6.9 .. replaced glow plugs, injectors, return lines, electric fuel pump, fuel lines, if I give it a huff of starting fluid it will pop off then die off. Give it one more huff it will start right up and stay running but produces lots of white smoke as long as it runs!.. leave it sit for a day no leaks anymore won’t start even when push button starting the glow plugs . I can’t figure it out po has a used reman ip in the bed wondering if that’s the issue , would this course it not to start without fluid and when running produce white smoke ?.. and it’s not head gaskets it’s not sweet it’s like raw fuel almost please HELP!

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!!

Timing to far advanced or 180* out on the timing when he put the pump back on. Someone will come in behind me with pictures on how to check. Sounds like PO took IP, gear & cover off together.

Steve1986idi

Reaction score
Thank you! Yeah I’m not sure I’m really stumped I don’t know diesels at all but would love to learn from all you on here , I can fix any gasser but never touched a diesel

Steve1986idi

Reaction score
And it’s weird the ip in the truck looks dirty like it hasent been changed and the reman in the back is dirty as well

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted.. Welcome to the forum. Please tell us who or where you purchased the injectors from.That may tell us why the white smoke is happening. As for having the injection pump 180 degrees out of time please don't go there yet.Too many questions to ask about the injection pump replacement. Also white smoke when cranking the engine can mean the glow plugs are not working but lets take things one step at a time. Plenty help available here 24 7 365...

Steve1986idi

Reaction score
Yes white smoke when cranking as well!... and I bought them from Pensacola diesel they are just stock reman injectors. It smoked very bad and wouldn’t start same issues so started with injectors , return lines and still same exact symptoms .

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Those injectors could be thee issue. How is the engine while it's running? Is it ok other than the white smoke? Is it VERY loud and extremely lacking in power?

BigRedTank

Reaction score
White smoke = lack of fuel.
Black smoke = no heat to burn fuel.
Have u ever dropped the tank? After many years of use, the filter on the pick up line inside the tank could be clogged up.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He said the white smoke smells like raw fuel. That is probably what it is. The smoke can be caused by the glowplugs not working, which is confirmed by having to use ether. But, once it's started the smoke should eventually clear up as the engine warms up. It sounds like it keeps smoking correct? If so, it's something else, more than likely timing like the other guys mentioned. You are not burning all the fuel for some reason.

Steve1986idi

Reaction score
So I changed the ip and the smoke went away now I’m dealing with the throttle rod leaking in the new pump but runs way better . Still won’t start after sitting for a day still think I got air intrusion somewhere . It’s weird I don’t know where else sir could be coming in at !.. changed return lines , injectors , fuel filter, fuel return line from tank, and the factory water separator is bypassed I’m confused

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hate to tell you PD is a rip off place, did not know what a pop test was when asked, bought injectors, had them tested all over the map with three that dribbled with no pressure at my cost local!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pensacola has been an issue for years, and is known to never match their injectors. Steve if your throttle shaft is leaking that is where you are getting air. When the truck shuts off all the fuel above the throttle shaft is draining out, and filling the empty space with air.

robw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Wes is an IDI guru, and yes precisely as stated the fuel will be replaced with air to whatever level it leaks at = pumping air to start it, = no start.

Also, greetings Steve! I sold you that #5 hard line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online