Which Moose pump?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Gang!
Today I placed an order with Mel and Suzi at Conestoga Diesel for a set of injectors and a injection pump.
My truck is a '90 F-250 XLT 2wd with a E4od it's got about 220,000 on the clock and I just finished installation of a 093 ATS kit. Although I'm not really seeing any fuel system related problems, I'm thinking that I'd rather be safe than sorry since we tow our nearly 10,000# RV, our full time home and I'm reasonably certain that the components haven't been serviced in quite some time. Mel was kind enough to spend some time answering my newbie questions but I'm still not sure if I should go with the baby moose or the moose Jr. My concerns are a few - I don't currently have a intercooler and Mel cautioned that pulling the trailer through the mountains with the Jr., I'd need to keep a sharp eye on my egt's and coolant temp. It might sound silly to some of you but I (and my wife)am concerned about the soot making a mess of our white trailer. I was hoping to, if anything, clean up the exhaust with the addition of the turbo... I also would prefer not to have to concern my wife with watching the gauges. Mel said that if I went with the baby moose, I might be 5 mph slower through the mountain passes, but I wouldn't have to worry about cooking it. I'm looking for input from those of you who have a good deal of experience under the belt, which way would be best? The baby sounds good, but I'd sure like to have the upgrade head room that the Jr. would provide. Also, of note is that if I adjust the fuel on either of the pumps, it would void the warranty...
Many thanks!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no clue on the fuel amounts available on the moose pumps, but an 093 with the wastegate locked down can clean up a maxed out stock pump, and push 12-15 psi doing so.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Macrob.
after your last post about this statement of ever increasing boost #......I think you should call mel or russ or jason....
15# is going to kill your stock heads .

Yes you can feed an idi till it puckes it guts(headbolts and gaskets) but to just state pin the gate and max the fuel ....
Is only safe for your truck.
Again just my .02

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Op
I did exactly what you are asking about.
First rig, I got a set of bb's and a junior from mel, he said exactly the same thing to me....

It made the truck haul the mail.
Also would hit the pyro up around 1400 with a non gated banks.

With The 93 i went bb's and a stock ip with 40k on it ...edit
This is old info apparently mel makes 4 pumps now... end edit

and it will not flame the eng. Is bullet proof ,turns 11-12# on the 093 .

Take your pick drive by pyro ( junior)
Or
Foolproof stock calibration...
Hear what mel said to you.

His bull and moose misters are awesome, even with a ficm they run hot.
Fwit just my .02

Last edited:

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Macrob.
after your last post about this statement of ever increasing boost #......I think you should call mel or russ or jason....
15# is going to kill your stock heads .
*sigh*.
No, it won't.
It might push the stock head bolts, but I've heard that around 20 is the limit there, on a 7.3. I still haven't been able to actually *do* this with a stock IP, period.

Still haven't had gasket trouble with 15 PSI & 250RWHP(more than a stock pump can put out), even though I had the perfect opportunity to on my '93 - I overheated it enough last December that I got a little coolant leakage down the block from the gasket area... which promptly re-sealed itself and I haven't had any trouble since.
And yeah, I've pushed it plenty since then. I figure that if it was going to leak, it should already have done so.

Of course, once you upgrade to headstuds, 45+ is the limit; and that's the connecting rods that will bend. I don't recall *anyone* actually having pushed enough boost into a 7.3 IDI to lift the heads with headstuds.

edit:
BTW, yes, I'm trying to push things quite a bit. I've found conventional wisdom to have been proven false several times so far, so I'm going to end up finding where the /real/ limits are sooner or later.
Once I do, I'll have more knowledge about what to do and what not to do.
This is also why I bring up valve recession and clearances to anyone wanting to do a cam or having a motor rebuilt. Because I found out the exact limits in spectacular fashion(which is also why I will never trust a machine shop again).

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pushed over 15 psi and closer to 20 for years now motor still holding up, first with my 088 ats and now with my factory upgraded turbo, I am running a 90cc and stage 1 from r and d for a year now. No issues so far. To be noted though I haven't had to tow anything for a while or very often these days now.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Im guessing the baby moose is the same as the new RD-80 justin is selling.

http://www.idiperformance.com/store/p2/RD2-80_Injection_Pump.html

Quote from Justins Website
This is the little brother to the RD2-90. Meant for trucks not running head studs, the 80 gives the same style performance as the 90, without putting extra strain on the engine. 90cc peak fueling, 80-85cc at 2800 engine RPM.

The RD2-80 is a slightly lower output pump than the RD2-90. It retains the 90's fueling curve, but roughly 10cc lower. The Idea was to give owners of mostly stock trucks without upgrades more performance than was offered in a Turbocharged truck from the factory. It is a good match for trucks not running head studs, and otherwise stock induction and exhaust setups.

~90cc at peak
~80 to 85cc at 2800 (generally HP peak)
~3800RPM Defuel

I personally will prob go with the RD-80 or the baby moose, just because I dont want to drive by my gauges so to speak.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I had my banks and jr pump it would get warm quick. not a terrible amount of smoke but much more smoke then with my current turbo. im not sure of the difference between your turbo and banks but I might go for the baby pump.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the moose junior, I’m running a baby moose on my na truck and wish I had more fuel

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy with my baby moose and moose mate injectors in a stock 93 IDIT, 95k miles so its just broke in! very little smoke,

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the moose junior, I’m running a baby moose on my na truck and wish I had more fuel

Hi there Wes!
You know, I'd go with the Jr but I'm really concerned about the heavy towing we do. One of my objectives is to make the long drives towing the RV less stressful, if I'm having to continually watch the gauges as well as control the temps with the peddle - never mind with Marketa driving it's gonna make for a more stressful trip, right? Or am I over determining the problem? The other goal is to Clean up the exhaust so that the trailer doesn't look like it was dipped in smoke!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand that, a baby moose would make it a lot more wife friendly and less stressful to drive. If you wanted more fuel you could order the junior and a smoke puff limitor but sounds like a baby moose will be a good match for you. Low egts and hardly any smoke

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be happy with a baby moose. You will be able to control egt’s very well with minimal smoke.
If you get a moose junior, it’ll be a smoker.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will be happy with a baby moose. You will be able to control egt’s very well with minimal smoke.
If you get a moose junior, it’ll be a smoker.

Thanks, that's the kind of definite answer I was looking for. I'm assuming, I hope correctly, that down the line if I want to add a IC and crank up the boost a bit the baby will be able to handle it.