which is best

Hiredgun

Reaction score
New to me 1993 F250 extended cab 4x4 zf5speed, motor is toast, got a couple options for replacements.
older bus IH IDI 444 or 1993 F350 7.3 IDI any or enough difference to pick one over the other?
Price and mileage are close.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're just down the road from me :)

Someone who knows better than me will probably chime in soon, but I'd go with the exact replacement if price/mileage are about the same. I would wonder if the accessories, exhaust, etc. are different from a bus vs. the F-truck?

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
New to me 1993 F250 extended cab 4x4 zf5speed, motor is toast, got a couple options for replacements.
older bus IH IDI 444 or 1993 F350 7.3 IDI any or enough difference to pick one over the other?
Price and mileage are close.

IIRC, the IH in the bus will have an SAE bellhousing.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the pump is governed at a lower RPM on the bus motor. All other things being equal, the f350 motor will be an easier swap.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The differences will swap over either way, I believe - exhaust manifolds will swap, IP will swap (governor) etc.
The bellhousing/mount is an adaptor in either case.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more question for the OP - "motor is toast". What's wrong with it? Connecting rod through the block? Or something potentially less of an issue?

Hiredgun

Reaction score
I thought....could be wrong that the blocks were the same? all the 6.9s 7.3 were rated as medium duty diesels, but not sure, will check before i pull the trigger

Hiredgun

Reaction score
Macrobb story from the driver, when i went down , started knocking hard died, would not even turn over after towed to plant, then has set for almost 4 years

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they actually DO or TEST or CHECK anything after that ^^^^^ ? Like, pull the GPs and check for hydro-lock? 'Course, if they let it sit for four years, it may be (no pun intended) water under the bridge.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's worth turning over by hand(if you can), check the oil(clean, gray, what?). Could have had fuel issues or actually siezed... but that's rare unless someone ran it out of oil or coolant...

Hiredgun

Reaction score
I have a actual diesel mechanic who is tinkering with it, but the truck was bought to save miles on my 2004, so it needs to run by April, I have a lawn care business on the side, if things go right i will run it with the pickup bed this year and put a flatbed (landscape bed) next winter, just looking at options to let that happen

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
This has been discussed before, should be info on the forum.

But, a quick list of the differences:

The blocks themselves are exactly the same. But everything will transfer over. You can make an IH truck engine fit a Ford, and a Ford work in an IH truck, with just bolt on parts.

Exhaust manifolds are different.

The fuel filter mount is different.

Injection Pump Governor is ~2800 on an IH Spec Pump, ~3600 on a Ford Spec pump.

Motor Mounts, the IH uses motor mounts integrated in the bell housing, the Ford uses a bolt to the side style mount.

All the front mounted accessories, including the water pump. The IH uses all IH bolt on stuff, the Ford uses Ford bolt on stuff.

The SAE bell housing with the motor mounts will have to be removed, and the adapter plate the Ford transmission and starter bolt to will have to be swapped.

If the IH had an air compressor, the oil lines holes in the block will need to be plugged. The Ford will have the plugs in it.

There may be some other minor things, but with both engines side by side, it should be apparant.