Which engine is better for a medium duty truck?

Discussion in 'Drivetrain & Suspensions' started by Andertusa, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Andertusa

Andertusa Full Access Member

I'm looking to replace the gas 236 I-6 in my '56 GMC 450( 18,000GVW) with a diesel, but I'm torn with what to use. Remember, the engine replacing the old gasser can't be too large( exterior) or be too tall as the truck is one of those COE-hybrid trucks with the sorta stub-nose. I'm NOT gonna put a Ford, or International, or A Mercedes or any brand associated to ANOTHER manufacturer, so I think basically I'm down to a Detroit 8.2L V-8, or a 3208 Cat or MAYBE a Cummins? I really can't use a BIG Six because it's to tall and I'm not gonna run the throttle while the petal attached to the block.

2. FordGuy100

FordGuy100 Registered User

Detriot 8.2's are boat anchors, I would stay away (this is hearsay, but enough people say it that I'll bite)

Not the biggest fan of the 3208, although its better than the 8.2. I would probably look into a 5.9

Do you have any measurements that will give us an idea on the size?

3. Andertusa

I don't really like the idea of a six, mainly because the floor will interere with the back of the engine, and these older trucks didn't have much room to allow for much extra interior space being consumed by the engine. Basically, the engine CAN-NOT be any taller than the staight six gasser that's in it. That's a small six cylinder( exterior dimension) so there ain't much lee-way to work with, basically a 'V' is the only solution. Though I'm a fan of using engines that are brand-like meaning I am NEVER putting a Chevy small-block into a 32 Deuce coupe.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  4. Andertusa

I;m not too worried about the external measurements( other than height) because these trucks generally had a nice sized area to work with under-hood. Even if I can't make a 'stock' lay-out engine work, I can do stuff like remove the turbos and move them off the engine a-la those after-market turbo kits for those Corvettes.

5. Andertusa

Truck resembles this one, but the frame is longer, and would take a nice 16 foot roll-back on it.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3184/3103534604_5d1ff62dff_z.jpg?zz=1

It looks like there is more room than there is, the rear of the engine(last cylinder, if I remember correctly) is under a panel in-front of the trans-access/shifter access panel.

6. JosieGallows

JosieGallows Full Access Member

I hate to ask, but isn't the 8.2 Detroit Indirect Injected or not? it sounds like an IDI.

7. FordGuy100

FordGuy100 Registered User

Exactly how much power are you looking for? Is this something that will be doing some pulling duty? Looks like its a heavy sucker to begin with.

I do agree with you on not mixing brands, especially for the older stuff (like the ford hot rods with small block chevy's, drives me nuts). Are you sure those bigger V8's will fit? The 3208 for instance is over 10l in displacement, its a big sucker.

I just dont know of any diesel engine that will put out decent hp/tq numbers the size of these small gas inline 6's.

8. Andertusa

I've sen both the 3208 Cat and 8.2 DD up-close and personal-like; I used-to work at a truck salvage place, my only real concerns are the height of the engine( so no 3406 Cat, 12.7 DD or the like) and after that, will it clear the frame rails. I'm not too worried about the frame-rails bit as I'm gonna 'bag the whole rig after swapping the old axles for newer 'easier-to-find-parts-for' units, and it's not gonna be a 'commercial rig' where the fuzz will really be breathing down my @$$ on. Besides, those [email protected] split rims are a NIGHTMARE.

EDIT:::: I forgot to answer the question over the power, I am sorta thinking that since the truck only has a GMC mandated GVW of 18,000 that around 200-300 horses is MORE than enough locomotion for my mild-ish hot-rodding aspirations. Stock, she only had something like 120-130 horses, and is geared to drive 45 MPH at best, then in 'hi range' likely 60 mph MAX.