Where is the fill plug on the sterling axle?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IRRC: It's 2-1/2 Qts. of 80 - 140. Ya don't want to overfill, you can be filling the axle.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Doh.
I was thinking over filling the zf5. Lol
Yeah, don't over fill the rear. That can and will cause leaks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

redacted

Reaction score
There's lots of room in the rear, though... although the fill plug is quite high on 'em. Meaning, lots of fluid. But its basically splash lubricated... so overfilling or running a bit low are probably somewhat tolerable... on the other hand, my zf5 is overfilled by probably 1 1/2 quarts. And it sounds better... but maybe my driving is smoother. No ill effects so far.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is it that over filling can cause leaks and why is oil in the tubes a bad thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No one mentioned the axle tubes.
But.... Oil is always in the tubes. How else would it go from the pumpkin to the hubs?
2nd over filling will put more stress on the seals. Which causes leaks. They're not made to be fully submerged.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one mentioned the axle tubes.
But.... Oil is always in the tubes. How else would it go from the pumpkin to the hubs?
2nd over filling will put more stress on the seals. Which causes leaks. They're not made to be fully submerged.

I thought I had read that somewhere and that's why I asked. Didn't make since but I guess I made it up in my head that I read that lol. Gotta wonder how they engineer it to get just enough lube to the bearings but not too much on the seals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk