where exactly is the distributor?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It must be there because when i disconnected the batteries and lost my presets, the stereo gave me a nice wheeeeeeeee.

In all seriousness, I am assuming this is alternator noise. How do i suppress it or is there a bigger problem in the charging circuit that is going to rear it's ugly head?

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the distributer is in front of the whacha ma callit, on the left side of the thing a majig.

i would take the alt in to a alt / starter shop and have it tested, the parts stores can only tell you if it works or not. the alt can still charge and have a problem. i've unhooked and / or replaced hundreds of batteries and not had alt noise after the rehook.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me being vague again. It wasn't the rehook, it was the radio being tuned to a station that didn't exist that let me really hear it. It has been in the background for a very low level since i bought the truck. It was VERY obvious when the radio was tuned to a channel that doesn't come in. Alternator has been charging fine for a month

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps take the belt of the Alt, try that radio station, if it still makes noise it's coming from something else. If it doesn't then the ALT is like the case. Try running a ground wire from a bolt on the ALT to the Battery the same size as your main charge wire. If that doesn't help a filtering cap of sorts on the power lead of the radio should work.

Something like this....any car audio power filter should do
You must be registered for see images attach