When looking for a 6.0, what should i look for or expect?

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Im due for a new truck so its time to do some research. I'm kind of wary on the 6.0's due to their bad rap. I've heard good and bad from them. I've found some really nice 6.0s and some of the 03's are just as much as the 7.3 ps's so i've been leaning more towards the 6.0s. If I got one i want a crew cab long bed. What should I look for and is there any other maintenance I need to pay attention to on 6.0s? Are they pricey to fix if somethin happens?

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
This is mostly covered in this thread:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36522

The only things not covered in that thread is costs of repairs. Yeah its gonna be expensive but comparatively to 7.3PS its not too different.

If you are seriously looking I have a couple trucks in mind for you!!!

Mine is for sale due to an unplanned deployment! Its a good deal if you are interested. Its a Crewcab long bed and I am in KS. The injectors were just replaced, the transmission was just rebuilt and the front end was just redone (its drives straight down the road without sloppy steering!). The guy that I got it from just spent over $6,000 on fixing it when he decided he wanted a brand new truck....farmers and their tax write offs!!!

My buddy is in the same boat due to the deployment. His is an 02 F250 7.3 CC with a 5.5 foot bed. Only 98,000 original miles!!! Nice truck with a four inch lift and good 35" tires.

If you are interested give me a shout!

Thad

zpd307

Reaction score
super duties are known for front wheel bearings, ball joints, and swaybar end links. i would check those first. as far as the 6.0 is concerned, they are hit and miss. my 03 was awesome, just couldnt afford to keep it at the time. i have heard from others of the nightmares with injectors, turbos, and egr. run the vin and get an oasis report, which will tell you if and how many times it was brought in to get fixed. it seems as though they will never be brought in or they will always get brought in. be **** about your oil changes and fuel filter changes. clean the egr valve periodically. if you run it hard pulling all the time, you should not have problems with the egr.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Have any of you heard of Bill at powerstrokehelp.com? I watched his vids on the 6.0 and 7.3. He seems to know his stuff. Now im kind of goin for a 7.3 now.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
If you can find a good 7.3 buy it. I just couldnt find one that I liked when I NEEDED one.....

Thad

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Yea I think thats what I'm aiming for now. I just want a pretty much trouble free engine. Those 6.0s are expensive to work on. Are the 7.3 powerstrokes expensive to work on? I'd settle for an IDI too. I know injectors are cheap for them. If I got an older PS or IDI it would have to be a 4x4 crew cab long bed.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
My honest no BS opinion is either go with a 93 or 94 7.3 Turbo IDI with a 5 speed or a 97 7.3 PS with a 5 speed. Both of those are good bases to start with. I agree with CC 4x4. Both of my last two trucks have been!!!

If you have some cash to spend and need a puller I would go with a 2002 7.3 with a 6 speed. Just my .02.

Good Luck!!!

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I almost had a 93 IDI but they wanted too much for it and everything i went over to look at it there was somethin else wrong with it. And it was leakin oil really badly. A buddy of mine had a 94 IDI with a banks turbo on it, turned up pump and adjusted waste gate rod and that thing would keep up with my friends 05 cummins cc dually and it had a programmer on it.