When & How to Service a Turbo

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,
Just wondering if anyone can help me find the service interval, maintenance and diagnostic procedures for Garett turbochargers?

I recently bought a 97 F-250 with 7.3L Turbo & Intercooler with about 160,000 miles (210,000 km).

I don't know if it has any issues but I lost a previous engine due to a Turbo failure, so I want to get ahead of it.

Thanks
Kelly

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fully agree with @79jasper about RiffRaff for a rebuild kit. This article from Diesel Power details a PSD turbo rebuild and compressor upgrade. Yours will be similar, with exception to a not having a wastegate.
Also, this truck has an exhaust brake as well. Don't know if that changes things.

Thanks
Kelly

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although it’s not complicated to rebuild a PSD turbo, if you aren’t adept at removing broken bolts, you should think about sending it out.

Just my .02 worth, good luck to you whatever path you choose.

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Great input by all - thanks.

Is there a recommended mileage interval at which one should rebuild the turbo?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shaft play is one factor if you are unsure of millage, up and down is supposed to be okay in very very small amounts and if it touches the housing it's rebuild time , back and forth play is supposed to be a no go and time for rebuild as well. Just checking by hand don't use tools to try and move it around for play as that will likley cause damage. Changing oil on time is very important for turbos as well

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly when they fixed it, but the early trucks had problems with the airbox sealing up. So many compressor wheels out there in use are actually no good.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx