Wheel Seals

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay all,

Some of you have seen my post in the "What you did today" thread.

My wheel seal on the passenger side is leaking, I'm sure the drivers side isn't far behind...

You must be registered for see images attach

What socket do I need for the hub lock nut? I'll likely be getting it at Advance Auto locally but I could order it on amazon or the like if I need to. I saw someone said Autocraft AC649 is the right one but other people said it's too small.

Is there anything else special I'll need for this job? Truck is a DRW 91 F350 with a Sterling 10.25

Can the shoes be changed without a special spring tool? I saw @towcat posted one a while ago in a seperate thread. I have the "right" tools for average drum brakes. The screwdriver with a socket looking thing for the spring retainers and the tools that slide over the pins to install and remove springs.

I will probably just bite the bullet and order 2 of the 34384 SKF Scotseals and new shoes. The hardware looks fine, and I really can't afford to replace what's broke now lol.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need this socket.

It is an autocracy but I can’t find any numbers on it. Probably from Advance. Might be able to loan a tool from them or autozone.

That’s what the nuts look like. I believe driver side is left hand thread but someone would need to confirm that. You push the socket in to release it. They ratchet.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O'Reilly sells them for $19. That's where I got mine.

I redid my rear brakes (that looked even worse than yours) without any special tools other than the spindle nut socket. It's easier with them, but a small vise-grip and a strong pull is really all you need to handle those springs.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a pinch, I have gotten those nuts off in the field with nothing but a flat head and hammer, can’t torque them to spec that way but I go by feel anyways. It will say right on the nut which way it comes off.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys!

You need this socket.

It is an autocracy but I can’t find any numbers on it. Probably from Advance. Might be able to loan a tool from them or autozone.

That’s what the nuts look like. I believe driver side is left hand thread but someone would need to confirm that. You push the socket in to release it. They ratchet.

Could you measure the OD for me when you get a chance so I can grab the correct one please?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My spindle nut socket (for Sterling 10.25" axle)is a Performance Tool W83008, $16.99 at O'Reilly, and the snout measures 1.517" on my dial calipers.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get 1.53 on the snout and 2.67 on the spanner section. If you can get it that cheap that’s the way I’d go with Orileys. I think I paid like 30$ for it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get the spindle nut socket so you can torque it down right. beats burning up axle tubes.
brakes can be done without special tools....but...it's not going to be a cake-walk. personally, I like the path of least resistance. :D

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I took a chance on a set of seals today. Sounds like they're made by SKF, same part number. I'll let you guys know how they turn out.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Seal-for...-SKF-34384-CL2797961/173186421598?_mwBanner=1

$30 shipped for two vs 30 each plus shipping, I'm willing to try it.

I figure I'll get the seals replaced and do the shoes in a couple weeks. It still stops fine for now so I think I can squeeze a little more out of these shoes as long as I get the leak plugged up. Definitely changing them before the rally though.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does the axle shaft seal to the hub? Is there an o-ring or RTV or?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine have o-rings in a groove just beneath the axle flange. O'Reilly sells a stamped gasket but the hole is 1/8" too small to fit over the flange. I cleaned and coated the mating surfaces with Permatex #3 just in case anything got past the O-ring. Dry so far.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wheel seals finally showed up, along with the KYB rear shocks I snagged on clearance for $12 EACH plus like $8 for shipping.

Holy cow do these look right? They're HUUUUGE!

I have big hands and they're as big as my hands lol