What's your favorite method for degreasing an IDI?

Scooch

Reaction score
Up to you and clearly not necessary but I personally grab a cheap dollar store pack of aluminum foil and wrap the alt, gp controller, starter solenoid etc etc essentially any electrical component you might be scared to get wet. Then go to town with the degreaser and water without worry. Can always go back and clean up anything you wrapped with a rag/paper towel if needed.

Last edited:

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Batteries can get wet without problems... in fact it might help to wash off the acid vapors (and resulting corrosion) that always seem to collect especially near the negative terminal.

I also really don't like the idea of covering the top of a battery in tinfoil... can you say "zap"... :D

Scooch

Reaction score
I guess I should have not assumed everyone would be smart enough to use some sort of towel under the foil to avoid said zaps lol my bad. And like I said not necessary but for anyone scared to get the electrical wet it can't hurt to take precautions

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah yeah... nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure ;Poke

Many car washes have signs specifically forbidding engine cleaning, because of the mess left behind (which the next customer will not appreciate, either).

I wonder if a car detailing place would do it... maybe not and for the same reason. :dunno
Place here has an engine cleaner option on the panel :) Make sure to wash the injector pump when its cool. I have heard that washing them hot can damage them.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The absolute biggest no-no is to hit a RUNNING injector pump with cold water. It'll lock up and all sorts of bad things will happen, not necessarily just inside it...

I will check our local car washes for engine cleaning... if they allow it, I guess I'll need to park it there for a while and let it cool off ;)

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imo, you're all right and wrong.
They should be able to take some water. Obviously don't just hold the pressure washer right to it.
I've never covered anything. Don't go crazy on any electrical connections.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I've seen a detailer that literally took the fuse panel cover off on a duramax and sprayed inside the fuse panel with a pressure washer.......... then wondered why it wouldn't start....:rotflmao

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Batteries can get wet without problems... in fact it might help to wash off the acid vapors (and resulting corrosion) that always seem to collect especially near the negative terminal.

I also really don't like the idea of covering the top of a battery in tinfoil... can you say "zap"... :D
Actually a good idea to clean the battery with a water/baking soda mix.
Can have a decent parasitic draw.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steam or hot pressure wash is the ticket.. hardly needs degreaser as the hot wash melts the grease off . Havent hit my Truck with it yet but when she's back on the road it's going straight to the wash bay at my work.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steam cleaning is best. That’ll take all kinds of crap off even without degreaser applied.
When I didn’t have access to steam cleaner, I used to drive my pickup a short distance to the carwash. Spray 2 bottles of degreaser, let sit for a few minutes and then blast it off. Didn’t really bother covering anything up but the intake hole. Then would take it for a long drive to evaporate water off engine. Always worked well.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Super Clean. The stuff works wonders. It’s pretty hardcore when used undiluted, it’s caustic, so you’ve gotta be sure to use it properly, because it’ll wreak havoc on aluminum if left on it for too long, as well as your skin. Great for the first time cleaning years of buildup off the engine. Then just periodically use it diluted down to keep things clean and you’ll be stylin’.

https://superclean.com/products/superclean-cleaner-degreaser/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hondo78

Reaction score
Product called sea-clean is diesel fuel and tide. Best used when warm, so I drive to self wash and put sea-clean in a Hudson sprayer. Soak it with the sea-clean, and blast with hot water with engine off. Seal up electrical and inlets as common sense dictates. Retreat two or three times as necessary.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get spray oven cleaner from a dollar store. Spray, let it sit, wash off, repeat as necessary.

When you check oil level check dirt level and don't let it build up. That way cleaning makes only a containable mess.

For those who do maintenance and restoration as a serious endeavor, a dealer puled into my driveway unannounced probably as the result of a SEMA lead. On his truck he had two large, used pressure washers.

He also had a new, compact, diesel fired, hot, 4K PSI washer. Paint stripping has never been easier, whether you want it to or not.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
For anything but baked on gunk, there is a product called "Hondabrite" that is good for cleaning all sorts of stuff. It is available at motorcycle shops and perhaps some Honda dealers. Not one buck, probably $13 per quart battle. But it cleans everything and washes off with water. It is amazing. Spray on painted surfaces, just about anything, and it will look like brand new again. I used it to refresh the engine bay of a 30 year old Toyota Celica. The stubborn areas only needed wiping with paper towels.

hondo78

Reaction score
I do like the cheap oven cleaner, it does take everything but metal off your engine/axle etc. Mixing diesel fuel and Tide won't take the paint off, but if you don't clean it off it will soften anything rubber. Both will do the job, the steam cleaner is the optimum choice for cleanup. I do have a 3000 psi pressure washer, no steam. However it's often over 95 degrees in Arizona anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online