whats the best way to tackle this?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a parts truck coming,
im thinking about replacing the top portion, from the ribs to the window.
what would you do?
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im even thinking about pulling the supports off the inside of the roof, and adding 1" x 1/4" strap on the ridges to straighten it out.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That little spot of rust???? That's what you are worried about????

:rotflmao

Seriously though, I think these trucks came pre-rusted from the factory in that spot. Personally, the way I'm fixing that spot on my truck was I started by cleaning it thoroughly with wire wheel and roloc and then hit it with the mig to fill in the pin holes. I'll grind it down and toss a little filler over it to smooth it up. No way I would cut out a huge section of metal there especially around a window opening where the glass needs to fit. Call me lazy if you want, but that's what mine is getting. If it makes you feel better hit it with some naval jelly or the like once it's cleaned up real good to make sure you got it all then clean it again.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah what are you trying to fix there? I'm not seeing anything that I would replace a panel for. Could be missing it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no sir, the entire back panel on the top is dented in to ****.
i wouldnt be posting if it was just a little rust lol

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd work out the dents with stud gun and fill it to smooth it out.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd work out the dents with stud gun and fill it to smooth it out.
i suck at stud gunning, and then i gotta bondo it up, replacing it would take about as much time as it would to bondo.

i either have to cut the inside portion out, so i can hammer and dolly, or just bite the bullet and replace the whole panel.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see it now. It's a little wavy. If I was going to try to metal work it, I would probably cut the section out of the inside layer and pound it out then fill the inside piece in if that's the road to hell I was going to go down. The inside will be behind the carpet/trim/seats so it can be less pretty. Problem becomes short of weld through primer, there's not really much you can do to protect the inside of it once its done unless you leave a couple holes from the inside to shoot some inner frame sealer/treatment stuff in it.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Come on Brian! You already know your answer - you just want one of us to say it so when it takes 10X's longer you have someone to blame! :rotflmao

MY answer would be fix the little rust spot, slap a bed on the truck and call it good. But we all know that is not how you roll.

Since you are saying you are better with a welder than the stud gun (although looked to me like you knew what the fork you were doing with that tool also) you are going to cut it out and weld in a new section. Hell, get a new piece of metal and bead roll your own pattern into it!.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can weld the studs to the metal just fine, its the proper placement and pulling of said stud that i suck at.. i need practice.

im asking because i know theres a million ways to skin a cat. and was looking for better options than replacing it.

this morning while thinking about it, i think the easiest way is to cut out the inner panel,
install some box tubing back there. and weld the sucker in place.

i think that would straighten the sheet metal while adding much needed support.

still need bondo tho, but i think ill need body filler no matter what street i travel down on.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Additional support would help down the road. Guys like me harpoon lumber into a truck bed and destroy the front of beds and backs of cabs. It was obvious on mine when I installed the tool box. Once I got the box, it took the beating!

Seriously though as to the best route for ya, I got nothing... unchartered water for me.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Filler is not for the weak. Anybody that thinks so is full of :bs

It's a tool like anything else. When used properly its just dandy. You guys here have taught me that. I was getting down on my welds (which trust me are uglier than yours) and especially junk helped me get over that. Now I'm back to blissfully ignorant. ;Sweet

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont get me wrong Mike, Bondo certainly has its uses, and im not against using it,
but i will not fill huge voids.
i wish i could see the inside of this panel before i cut the inside off.
i think the box tubing idea is what im gonna do.
just wanna do the best i can before i spray the truck, which isnt that far off!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get you. There is a lot more metal in my truck in places than there was in stock form I can tell you that. Just try not to create any spots for water to collect and coat the insides of stuff the best you can while you have it apart. There's only so much you can do.