What's a good 5th wheel hitch?

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been hoping to get a 5th wheel, so I can do some traveling. I keep seeing 5th wheels on craigslist that look like something I might like, but there is one problem, I need a 5th wheel hitch.

I've been looking at some hitches, it seems like Reese and Curt pop up a lot. Does anyone have experience with either? I don't need anything fancy, but I am willing to spend a bit more to get something that's not going to be garbage.

It looks like the rail kits are basically all the same. Are there any nuances when it comes to installing these rail kits in our trucks (80'-94' trucks)? Installation looks fairly straight forward, but it would be nice to know if there's anything that I need to be aware of before I go out and buy something.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want the capacity to match the trailer, 16k 25k ect.
Also want a 2 way pivot, f-r side to side, round locking jaws are a little more solid than straight bars, sliders are recomended for short beds, nice for longbeds so the gate can come down while hooked up.
they can come with air ride at a cost.
Pass on beat looking junk at 100-150, $150 will start you at decent entry level.
There are some nice frame plate mounts depending on year, some are just 90*angle some are bolt on/weld on,
Try e trailer for reasearch
This is just a primer.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want the capacity to match the trailer, 16k 25k ect.
Also want a 2 way pivot, f-r side to side, round locking jaws are a little more solid than straight bars, sliders are recomended for short beds, nice for longbeds so the gate can come down while hooked up.
they can come with air ride at a cost.
Pass on beat looking junk at 100-150, $150 will start you at decent entry level.
There are some nice frame plate mounts depending on year, some are just 90*angle some are bolt on/weld on,
Try e trailer for reasearch
This is just a primer.

Thanks for the advice. The e trailer site has a lot of useful info. It seems like the older Fords would need the "universal" rail kits.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The top rails are universal, the frame mounts for a stroke will fit by cutting a shim out, somewhere I posted a pic of them on my 88 and 93.found em..
You must be registered for see images attach

These beat the little 90deg angleiron units .

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The top rails are universal, the frame mounts for a stroke will fit by cutting a shim out, somewhere I posted a pic of them on my 88 and 93.found em..

These beat the little 90deg angleiron units .

Any idea what year those frame mounts were meant for?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
08-up ford super-duty ( I dunno whats) no/dri
Pn 55133 $125.00 back in 13
I got em from
Sierra truck and van
707-864-1065

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
if you've got a gooseneck hitch on your truck already you can get the adapter for the camper ;Sweet

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
B & W gooseneck with a companion hitch. B & W is top quality. I won't buy nothing else. Eason

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've wanted one for a while now. Seems like there's no bolt in kits for an 83 though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. I see they're specified for over load spring equipped or not. I don't currently have over loads but want to add them. Thinking I should order one designed for a truck with over loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk