What's a clean E350 non-turbo van worth.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for one of these to do a 4WD upgrade. I've got a good feel for what the trucks are going for in my area, but I don't see many vans. I'm in northern California not far from Sacramento. I see this listing here that looks great. Seems clean. It's an IDI - so it's awsome. Extended roof.
I"m not sure I like all the windows - I think I might rather have cargo van for security and stealth mode bandit camping. But I think it's unlikely to find a cargo van with an extended roof.

7-8K seems like way to much. I'm thinking 5ish if it's been well maintained, super clean & no rust?
What do you guys think something like this is worth?

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/ford-e350-diesel-conversion/6721027048.html

Thanks,
-john

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just pulled the trigger and bought a idit 1994 E350 ambulance from my old boss/brother that has a certified (4x4) conversion and it has all the converters and such for 4k after seeing project artic I had to have it so yeah I feel a van for 7-8 k is a little much but that's just me but it had a bit of work done inside so gotta think oppertounity cost and lkeep In mind of you want to do a 4x4 conversion and can't do it on your own that's big $$$

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for it to meet the regulations for being a anbulance the front end had to be Ispected and the municipality told it was done right so the company that did the conversion gave a certificate

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Better grab it quick! It's a bargin! It has the 7.3 IDI that "all modern diesels and Powerstrokes were built on". I didn't even realize that there was such a thing until I read that ad!cookooYou may not have much luck dealing him down if he thinks that way. It's a SHARP looking van, but I'd look it over REAL hard before offering much over the $5000 you mentioned. Somehow, I doubt that he'll drop that much.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that guy likes to talk, lookout if you view it. *** man, all modern diesels are all built on Rudolph Diesel's design. doesn't look like he spent more than a weekend on his homemade bed design.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is as nice as he says. Zero rust, zero mechanical issues etc etc I may go as high as $5500. But that’s it. Being an ‘88 it should have a c6. C6 is a good tough trans, but it is a 3 speed and not efficient. If it has 4.10 gears the noise in the cab from the engine is going to make it tough to talk. I don’t see a turbo listed in the description, so it will be fairly slow. Towing small loads with it will be fine, but anything larger will be a slow event. It will do it, but don’t be in a hurry. My e250 is NA and I tow a TT with it. It does fine, but EGTs limit me to about 60-65mph. Big hills slow me down to the 50’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is clean looking for an '88 but $7800 is a bit much. Although I must note that right now the "adventure/overland camper rig" is pretty darn popular around my area, CA central coast, so there are probably more people willing to overpay. You wouldn't believe how many people roll around here in their DD outfitted with jerry cans, Hi-Lift jacks, and intake snorkels.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally, I'd agree with the hive and say $5500 is a good price. It has some things that increase the value over the typical IDI Van (extended roof, interior renovation, clean body, no body/frame rust, etc). But, it doesn't have a lot of extras... No overdrive, no turbo, no 4x4, etc. It's basically just a camping van that has the off-road capability of flat gravel roads.

That being said, this is being sold near Sacramento, so by extension San Francisco and Los Angeles. Hundreds of people (ranging from homeless to college students to day laborers) are looking for RV's and Vans to live in. While they don't have a lot of money, compared to the cost of a $3200/month one-bedroom apartment, this van is a MUCH cheaper option.

That would mean this van could sell for $6000 or even $7000 with the right buyer. If you show up with $5500 cash, maybe the seller will just take it. But judging by his dedication to the interior renovations and his knowledge of his market, he might hold out for the next group of day-laborers with more cash in hand.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crud, it's already gone. I asked him the selling price and will update when he replies. Frankly I'm surprised it went so fast with the (relatively high) asking price. I thought I had more time to look it over and think about it.

In general, do the vans go for more than trucks? I haven't seen non-turbo IDI trucks listed for over 6k.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Owner just got back to me. $7800. These things are like gold. Looks like I'll have to up my budget a bit an move faster if I want to get one.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Owner just got back to me. $7800. These things are like gold. Looks like I'll have to up my budget a bit an move faster if I want to get one.

I am from Indiana. My van had 125k on it, was mechanically sound minus the AC not working and it needing glow plugs. Very minimal surface rust in a couple of areas. Regular body factory conversion van. I paid $3500 for it with an included new AC compressor.

I believe the higher price could be due to location. You may want to widen your search and consider if traveling to get it or having it delivered would make since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm really interested in your story because coincidentally, I bought my IDI van in Santa Cruz (not far from you) in 2012 for $3200. No rust, no add-ons, etc, basically the same van, minus the top hat.

I have noticed an increase in value for these vans over the years, notably for the reasons I mentioned before (homeless people, college students, migrant workers, illegals, surfers, etc). Recently, I read that in metro areas, fullsize vans are a hot item to steal. Something about living in them or whatever. IDK. Overall, the demand for these beasts is getting high. Whenever I drive my diesel van around Los Angeles each day, at least one day-laborer will approach it, ask if it's a diesel, and admire it. Usually, they will follow with a low-ball offer, just to see if I'm interested.

These vans have a lot of versatility that the truck can't do. It's the one vehicle where you can legally seat 8-12 people (depending on the model), haul lumber and plywood and PVC and steel, and toss a bed in and live in, all in the same work week. And the IDI allows you to push the weight limit. You can haul 2 tons in a E250 without much strain on the engine or suspension. I know, cuz I've done it a bunch of times.

So, you might be in a pickle if you are looking for a decent $3500 IDI van nowadays. That being said, I bought a '84 6.9 Van 2 years ago for $400 cuz the guy was moving to Oklahoma. I wasn't even in the market, I just wanted to see his rare-as-hens-teeth Banks van turbo kit on it, but I ended up driving that rolling wreck back home with cash-on-hand. Crazy how things work out. So keep looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online