what year axles for obs 4wd swap??

Bako IDI

Reaction score
Hey guys sorry if this has been touched on somewhere i just have not been able to find it. i have a 1992 f250 thats 2wd and im sick of getting stuck in my own drive way if the grass is wet or god forbid theres snow-Lame i know what everyones going to say about only go for a D60, but i dont really ever take my vehicles off road. My truck mostly is DD or just used for towing. So a D50 TTB would fit my needs just fine.
Anyways my question is what year trucks can i swap axles, suspension, and steering out of? i have a 83 that i can get any parts i need off of for free. Thanks fellas!:Thumbs Up

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe any TTB from the 1980s-97 F250/350 will work, making sure the axle gearing is the same though. I have 0 clue about the mounting of the drop brackets/leaf spring perches on the 2wd frame. Then mounting the transfer case to your trans and driveshaft crap. I would honestly just install a lunchbox or Detroit locker and some aggressive mud terrains in a 2wd truck, yet I'm pretty sure the swap can be done.

Bako IDI

Reaction score
1980-2004 will pretty much bolt on.

Awesome, thank you Thewespaul. That's exactly what I was looking for. I have heard only 88 and up but from what I've seen the bullnose has the same frame.
Also, I found a decent deal on axles out of a 2000 f350 single wheel, what all is needed for that swap in terms of Fab work?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some good drill bits as not all the holes are already in the frame. Otherwise it bolts on. If you look up “project jerry” I’m putting axles from a 2003 f250 under our 88, rear axle bolts right in, even emergency brake cables hook right up. Front axles takes a bit more work but no real fab work if you stay with leafs.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if youre daily driving the truck, I would pick a straight axle.
wear and tear is minimized compared to the TTB.
you can buy expensive bolt on kits to do the job of the proposed super duty axle swap.
or..
if you can lay down good welds, you can do it for much much cheaper.
this is my reverse shackle swap on one of my toys.
I bought rear shackle mounts. I had everything else in stock.
yours will be a tad bit different with the frame horn change in 92, but pretty much the same concept.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bako IDI

Reaction score
What would be your guy's advice on the crossmember for the TTB? I know it's welded into the frame and is absent in the TIB 2wd front end. Just curious what I should do? Should i try and scarf it off the frame? I haven't found many write ups on people putting TTBs in, only write ups on taking them out for a D60.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would be your guy's advice on the crossmember for the TTB? I know it's welded into the frame and is absent in the TIB 2wd front end. Just curious what I should do? Should i try and scarf it off the frame? I haven't found many write ups on people putting TTBs in, only write ups on taking them out for a D60.
the frames and front engine cross member are the same 3/4 ton and 1 ton.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just different brackets and more holes. track bar on a D60 mounts on the pivot bolt for the drivers side I beam

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not just put a tracloc or posi in the back or an easylocker? if you don't need to worry about snow or offroad *** do you need 4wd for? 4wd is a lot of work for something you don't need.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online