What to look for in an '03 6.0?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I'm looking at one for a friend. 116,000 miles, 2 owners. No engine mods, just lift and tires, and tonneau cover. Garage kept, very clean. Is there any tell take things to look for? Thanks in advance.;Sweet

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Older Powerstrokes?

I have a buddy who has a pretty good 6.0 Powderchoke so I don't think they are "all condemned" by any means, but just wondering, not trying to start any controversy :angel:, just an honest question: I could understand if you are looking at an 06 or 07 Powerstroke, but if you are willing to go all the way back to 03, why not consider going to 2002 and getting into a 7.3 liter :dunno?

Just an honest question....

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds just like mine. See if you can get a OASIS report and see what if any work has been done at the dealer. If it has a clean report, or the "biggies" have already been replaced, I would say it is good to go......

See if its ever had a programmer/chip/tuner on it, not that would be a problem, but in stock trim it can help to really push it to the limits. See if the EGR system is still in tact. If so see if any work has been done to the system, like EGR Valve replaced, EGR or Oil coolers replaced (not a "normal item" but, if the oil cooler begins to plug it starves the EGR cooler of coolant, which superheats the ERG cooler, melting the solder in it, causing a leak......) so just getting ideas......

Take it for a test drive, if it is cold, there is a squiggley line on the left side of the dash, next to the oil pressure "gauge". It should stay on several seconds like an IDI does. Also, if it has one of the latest PCM programs in it. you will hear the injectors "buzz" when you turn the key on and the WTS light is on. This is to help heat the oil in the injectors so it starts and runs better on the initial cold startup.... mine, just like most diesels feels a bit down on power when it is dead cold like that.... just drive it easy till you get some heat in the engine.... just like any other diesel....

If the truck is truely in stock trim..... IT WILL NOT ROLL ANY SMOKE!!!! you may get a haze, but it will not billow black!!!!! If it does, either it has a program, or it is not gettin boost..... that could be an EGR issue or a Turbo issue...... just trying to give you ideas.........

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at one for a friend. 116,000 miles, 2 owners. No engine mods, just lift and tires, and tonneau cover. Garage kept, very clean. Is there any tell take things to look for? Thanks in advance.;Sweet
'03 was first year of production. even if all the bugs got worked out, the resale is going to suck balls. I had a '04/'05 F550 4x4 twinline wrecker assigned to me. I had trust issues with it. As long as I had a satellite phone with me, I'll go into remote places with it. otherwise, I took the '97 F450 2wd and did the same assignments.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
OASIS report is your best friend to find out if it was good one or a BAD one. Just take the Vin to Ford and they will print you out a report of EVERYTHING Ford has ever done to it.

There are a handful of good one, but there are aalot of bad one. I personally know of 2 that have gone over 300,000 with out headgaskets, but I also Personally know of about 6 that never made it to 100k

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I would hop all over a 05 or 06 6.0 if I had the money to delete the EGR system and put in head studs. Would also add all kinds of preventative maintenance goodies like coolant filter, etc. Oil changes are paramount too for the fuel system and possibly for the turbo as well.

But alas, I don't even have enough money to buy the truck, let alone the goodies.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
My buddy wanted it, I couldn't find a reason to run away from it. 100% stock unmolested engine, exhaust and air filter. The only rust was a couple of small blisters on the bed cross members. 1 day old 37" Procomps, aside from the tailgate having some normal scratches, body in very good condition. No leaks, no front end clunks, no smoke at all. Bilsteins, aftermarket head unit with I pod dock. Custom grille and tail lites. Any estimates?

Attachments

• sludge's truck.jpg
    sludge's truck.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 46

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice looking and a good description

I would say in the $10k area........

What I have found, a stock 6.0 has more than enough power to do what you ask it to... I see no reason to turn them up..... believe it or not, Trav has said the same thing, he sees no reason to turn one up.... he has used mine and was happy with the performance.... FYI a stock 6.0 is 325hp/590tq from the factory..... I know the number most want to see get an IDI is 300hp..... I know that is to the wheels, abnd the 6.0 is 325 @ the crank...... take it for a ride, you will like the way it runs.....

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I guess you're right. If my stock 5.8 gets me around just fine, with only 210 hp and 310 tq......I should be pretty tickled with the power from a 6.0. It would still be hard to resist throwing an SCT and an exhaust on it, for MPG reasons.

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
I have an '03 6.0 and love it! It does have some poop to it. To help your mileage, a mileage chip, cold air and exhaust will help big time! I noticed a difference after a chip and cold air and my mileage went up!

I bought mine with 54,*** miles and now I have 80,*** on it now.

Just make sure when its cold (engine not wormed up) that it runs smooth and it doesn't have a miss to it. Could have a bad injector in it.... JMHO

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Why just an 05-06? the 03 and 04 have more power:sly

Really? I always thought they upped the power on the 05-06.
I like the appearance just a little better on the newer ones(although the 03-04 look just fine too IMO). Also, the turning radius would be nice.

It's all just a pipe dream for me though......I don't even really need the truck I have much any more.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Really? I always thought they upped the power on the 05-06.
I like the appearance just a little better on the newer ones(although the 03-04 look just fine too IMO). Also, the turning radius would be nice.

It's all just a pipe dream for me though......I don't even really need the truck I have much any more.

On paper they upped the hp from 325 to 335 but all youy have to do is line up any 03-04 to a 05-07 and you will see they were lieing:mad: Any 03-04 I have been in will smoke a 05-07. but you are right on the turning radius. the coils make a world of difference

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online