What started out as rumour seems to be coming true

vermoeide_zwerver

Reaction score
I am hearing more and more information from folks I consider to be credible that Ford is in fact going to a twin turbo 6.4 PSD for 07. Unfortunately it is going to be the same basic engine, just increased .4 of a litre and will have the added HP attributed to the additional turbo. This may all be bunk, but I know some folks that are convinced it is coming. Anyone else believe this or heard anything more reliable.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the same rumor.. check out the rumor mill.. there is a long thread in there about it...

vermoeide_zwerver

Reaction score
Did'nt think about looking there, thanks. I thought that was not about trucks. I'll check out the thread.

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
vermoeide_zwerver said:
Did'nt think about looking there, thanks. I thought that was not about trucks. I'll check out the thread.

the rumors about Phil (Wideopen) are true, he came out of the closet already.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vermoeide_zwerver said:
I am hearing more and more information from folks I consider to be credible that Ford is in fact going to a twin turbo 6.4 PSD for 07. Unfortunately it is going to be the same basic engine, just increased .4 of a litre and will have the added HP attributed to the additional turbo. This may all be bunk, but I know some folks that are convinced it is coming. Anyone else believe this or heard anything more reliable.

Insiders have said it's definately happening. I've even heard that Hypermax already has a few copies on engine stands.

The best part is that this is to be a common rail diesel. No more HEUI injection. That means much easier & more dramatic hop-ups in power are possible.

Hope it's all true. Could be a stock 400HP diesel. ;Sweet

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know theres a thread about this going on already but my comment seems to be on topic for the 6.0 forum anyways so I'll state it here. Its more a question than comment;

There really hasnt been issues with the integrity of the 6.0 block has there? From what I have read/heard/seen, the porblems revolve around the brain box for the most part correct? Least up to now I havent heard of rod/crank/cam/head problems with the 6.0 design.

How about it 6.0 owners, other than the late 03 lemons how are the 6.0's holding up. Whos got the most miles on the chassis so far?

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I know theres a thread about this going on already but my comment seems to be on topic for the 6.0 forum anyways so I'll state it here. Its more a question than comment;

There really hasnt been issues with the integrity of the 6.0 block has there? From what I have read/heard/seen, the porblems revolve around the brain box for the most part correct? Least up to now I havent heard of rod/crank/cam/head problems with the 6.0 design.

How about it 6.0 owners, other than the late 03 lemons how are the 6.0's holding up. Whos got the most miles on the chassis so far?

Agree on this too. Majority of the 6.0L problems are Engine ECM/Programming related. Some may be mechanical too due to the *uprated horsepower* in the program (such as injectors and whatnot). Navistar has been running thier own 6.0L (aka VT-whatever it is) at thier stock levels/ratings for a few years now without ANY major problems.

Ford screwed things up by boosting power ratings to meet the Cummins ratings without doing the homework. Pure and simple. Hell, the ECM on the Navistar engine isn't even Navistar, its Ford.

Cummins ECM is pure Cummins with the Dodge interfaced in for the chassis and vehicle electronics. Any Cummins shop will work on a Dodge Cummins without a second glance. I havent heard that happening with the Navistar/Ford relationship. Navistar dealers have been saying take it back to the Ford Dealer.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EMD Diesel Power said:
Cummins ECM is pure Cummins with the Dodge interfaced in for the chassis and vehicle electronics. Any Cummins shop will work on a Dodge Cummins without a second glance. I havent heard that happening with the Navistar/Ford relationship. Navistar dealers have been saying take it back to the Ford Dealer.

I dunno which dealer in the SFbay area is worse, the Ford dealer or the Navistar dealer service dept. they are owned by the same corporation but the navistar service holds onto trucks longer than ford does. Oh yea, the ford dealer is a little less on the hourly rate.
Irregardless, I haven't seen any physical problems with the 6.0 setup outside of a turbo committing suicide every now and then. Also, one must ask themself....DO I WANT TO BE FOMOCO'S LAB RAT? And even pay for the priviledge of doing so?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta admit,that variable vane turbo is wicked sounding. Especially when you build high boost doing silly things like brake stand tire smokers then get off the throttle...gives me chills listening to the turbo unspool while the vanes adjust.. woof woof...... LOL

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I gotta admit,that variable vane turbo is wicked sounding. Especially when you build high boost doing silly things like brake stand tire smokers then get off the throttle...gives me chills listening to the turbo unspool while the vanes adjust.. woof woof...... LOL

i agree if nothing else that engine sounds sweet... i wish i could get my 7.3 to whistle like they do.. i was messing around with one in town the other day and when he got on it i though it was going to take off... then i nailed mine and rattled on past :D it was stock though i kinda felt bad after it was over with

Super_Duty_John

Reaction score
vermoeide_zwerver said:
I am hearing more and more information from folks I consider to be credible that Ford is in fact going to a twin turbo 6.4 PSD for 07. Unfortunately it is going to be the same basic engine, just increased .4 of a litre (sp?) and will have the added HP attributed to the additional turbo. This may all be bunk, but I know some folks that are convinced it is coming. Anyone else believe this or heard anything more reliable.

Very true Higgins, I've even seen picture of it and it's two turbos on top ;)

No, I'm not going to reveal my source or pictures ;)

I'm going to order one as soon as available. I figure I've had enough trouble with 3 6.0L's that I have a good one coming, what say you ;)

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
vermoeide_zwerver said:

I was talking to a rep from Ford and IH last week and he told me the 6.4l twin turbo will happen when the 07's come out.
I specifically ask him if it was the a 6.0l just increased to a 6.4l and was told no it was not, it's a new design. We'll see.