what should i buy?

fordgirl

Reaction score
Well, I am looking at purchasing a second truck, my first one is a 2001 ford 7.3 liter we love it but are looking at getting a dually.
so far my choices are a 2003 f450 6 liter dually which has 155 klm has had alot of work done to it, now does that mean since i have heard 2003 are bad 6 liter years that this truck will contuniually have problems or since it has had alot of work done it should be better?
next is 2005 f350 dually 155 klm 6 liter lariat never had much work done to it, did small amount of hauling, but will this 6 liter have as much issue as the 2003?
we are looking at hauling horses, so we need a trouble free truck, any help would be great.

ford girl

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
if you want trouble free get the 7.3. you couldnt give me a 6.0. my cousin bought one brand new in 2006 and within the first 25000 miles it needed a new turbo. at 30000 the tranny went out and at 40000 the injectors went south. maybe he got a lemon idk. just my 2 cents worth

Newman

Reaction score
6.0s are hit and miss. I had decent luck with mine and I beat the **** out of it but i've had friends that have had lots of problems.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I/ve had good fortune with my 6.0. I have an 03 with 107,000 miles on it and it has been trouble free. Just because it has not had alot of work done on it does not mean anything. My truck has all the factory components on it, EGR, EGR Cooler, Injectors and Turbo. It has not been in the shop, because there had been nothing wrong with it......

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want trouble free get the 7.3. you couldnt give me a 6.0. my cousin bought one brand new in 2006 and within the first 25000 miles it needed a new turbo. at 30000 the tranny went out and at 40000 the injectors went south. maybe he got a lemon idk. just my 2 cents worth

This is a uninformed perspective. I would bet your cousin had all kinds of mods. The first clue is the tranny. the Torqshift is a fantastic tranny. If the owner trashed his, it was w/ a tuner and poorly written tunes. Same thing w/ the turbo.

Get the truck w/ the least amount of repair work history.

Quick mods to do when you get it:

1. change all fluids and filters
2. install a coolant filter
3. Install gauges: Edge insight is a good buy, but then add a fuel pressure gauge and EGT on to the package.
4. Install an upgraded fuel pressure regulator spring

Worst case (IMO) .....................

One repair you might plan on doing is the fitting on the discharge of the high pressure oil pump on the 05-o7 model years. If you do have to do this repair, install the bulletproof EGR cooler at the same time.

They can be a great value purchase because so many people have heard horror stories!