What prefilter to use

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm installing a Carter p4070 and I'm trying to find a good prefilter for it. Will the little clear plastic filters work or do they not flow enough fuel. What would a good filter to use be.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
So I'm installing a Carter p4070 and I'm trying to find a good prefilter for it. Will the little clear plastic filters work or do they not flow enough fuel. What would a good filter to use be.
I just recently bought a golden rod 3 piece water separator to use before my holley red pump in my 87' 6.9. The replacement filters are only like $5, the complete assembly was $29 from rural king. I would try to stay away from those cheap inline filters.
You must be registered for see images attach

Rock

Last edited:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Those little plastic see through filters won't flow enough fuel. I'm running a full sized spin on water separator on both of my trucks before the pump. Wix 33439 is the part number for the filter. Both Napa and Oreillys carry the filter and the base for it.

I recommend something though at the least to catch any big junk. I pulled a carter pump off my buddies truck and the internal screen was about plugged solid with junk because he ran it without a pre filter.

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those little plastic see through filters won't flow enough fuel. I'm running a full sized spin on water separator on both of my trucks before the pump. Wix 33439 is the part number for the filter. Both Napa and Oreillys carry the filter and the base for it.

I recommend something though at the least to catch any big junk. I pulled a carter pump off my buddies truck and the internal screen was about plugged solid with junk because he ran it without a pre filter.
any idea the part number for the base?

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking a look online there's about 100million different bases with different thread and gasket sizes. Was trying to find one that fit the most common and easy to find filters. It does seem like the 4023 base has a good selection of filters.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recently bought a golden rod 3 piece water separator to use before my holley red pump in my 87' 6.9. The replacement filters are only like $5, the complete assembly was $29 from rural king. I would try to stay away from those cheap inline filters.

Rock
Is this a water separator too?

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone is thinking about getting the wix or napa filter base don't. Get the baldwin FB46185 it's got a lot better machining quality and is not going to have problems leaking.

Last edited:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Baldwin 1204 on a Racor 225 housing.

The Carter 4070's used to be a great universal fuel pump, but there quality has really taken a turn for the worst. I have been bit with that several times. I would suggest that you buy a second one, and keep it under the seat in case you have a failure. Hopefully you don't, but just giving you a heads up and might save you a tow bill

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a small cheap Chinese spare. if the Carter turns out to be a piece of garbage then I'll probably get a Holley red pump. Or is there a better pump than the Holley red

Last edited:

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up ordering the baldwin FB46185 seems like there's a lot of filter s and water seperators available for this base plus it's supposed to be able to flow 12-16 gallons per minute so it should be able to flow whatever I need.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running this filter head and 33123 filter. Wix only lists 2 filters that will fit it and neither are in stock when I need one. I found a filter at tractor supply that will also fit because the area on the head is so wide a smaller diameter gasket will still seal.

The TS filter is a water separating one but has no drain. If it gets too wet with water the media swells and stops the flow of fuel.

The wix 33123 has a drain

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a detroit primary filter base and filter. Still the best most available 30 micron filter on the planet.
Any base with a 1-14 thread will have a plethora of filters available