Codyp86

Reaction score
What is this? Finger is pointing at it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold high idle solenoid. it pushes up the throttle lever to increase RPM at idle when the engine is cold.

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
XLT
7.3 Factory IDIT w/Banks Sidewinder
5spd Manual

Codyp86

Reaction score
Cold high idle solenoid. it pushes up the throttle lever to increase RPM at idle when the engine is cold.

XLT
5spd Manual
Should it be loose when not on the motor? If so I might need to change it.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

My F250's hasn't been working for a couple years I don't think, and starts it fine. Being so far south like you are, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you get it free or cheap. Basically, if the engine doesn't noticeably drop in idle speed after a short running/driving time, then it isn't working. I can really tell when it kicks off on my RV, if I am at idle or nearly so when it shuts off. It just keeps the throttle open wider than normal at idle. You could just lightly press the throttle when cranking to give it a little extra air and fuel when cranking it.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has always failed ever since I first got my first IDI. I've just ignored it. You can pull the wire from the connector, or you can pull the wire from the temp sensor switch on the head. Both will disable the CHIS.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has always failed ever since I first got my first IDI. I've just ignored it. You can pull the wire from the connector, or you can pull the wire from the temp sensor switch on the head. Both will disable the CHIS.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

The temp sensor by the thermostat housing is broken on the F250, which is why it doesn't work on there. I bought a NOS sensor but never found the need to install it. Giving it a little throttle manually does about the thing.

Kind of amazing it still works on the E350. I seriously think it's still under 100k miles from little things like that. (Pesky 5 digit odometer)

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes when is not engaged with the throttle lever it will be loose and just flop around. I had to put some loctite on mine to keep it from backing out.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine still works, 200k+ miles... however my temp switch recently stuck in the on position so i disconnected it until i get a new one.

I live on the gulf coast, 60 degrees is cold :) truck starts fine without it.

FYI, the temp switch also engages the cold timing advance in the IP, so if you disconnect the switch you'll disable that to.

XLT
5spd Manual

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
FYI, the temp switch also engages the cold timing advance in the IP, so if you disconnect the switch you'll disable that to.

Yep and my F250 still does decently without it down to around 25 degrees.

Codyp86

Reaction score
Sounds good. I’m not going to worry too much about it then. I was just curious as to what it was. Thanks a lot y’all. Do any of y’all know where I can find someone to help me time it the right way? I’m down around Galveston.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. I’m not going to worry too much about it then. I was just curious as to what it was. Thanks a lot y’all. Do any of y’all know where I can find someone to help me time it the right way? I’m down around Galveston.

Wes is in bulverde look for thewespaul he may be able to help you out or know someone close to you.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s me! Let me know if you make it up this way, be happy to time and tune the truck for you at the shop.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bulverde is a pretty good ways from me. But I will see if he can help. Thanks nostrokes

I was just thumbing through the timing service registry and member trevtron is in the Huston area. You could hit him up and see if he's able to help too.