what is this 7.3 idi turbo worth?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Have a running 7.3 with an 088 kit, that needs:

turbo cartridge
valve cover gaskets
complete fuel system
engine is healthy, and under 150k

I just need an idea what to sell this locally for. I have a buyer, just dont want to charge him too much for it.

thanks guys.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
800 - 1200 bucks IMO....the fuel system and cartridge are what make it cheap...if you get 12 yer lucky 8 is reasonable.\

Black dawg

Reaction score
800 - 1200 bucks IMO....the fuel system and cartridge are what make it cheap...if you get 12 yer lucky 8 is reasonable.\

I was thinking like 700, and to be used it really only needs a return kit, but it will be used hard, and some new parts should make it trouble free.

thanks.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could start at 1500 because around here in Portland a good running 7.3 idi non turbo go for up to 1000.

Black dawg

Reaction score
well..........decided to do compression test to make the engine more attractive, and 5 holes were 425ish, while 3 were 250,300, and 350. Decided I better get it going to see if the compression would even out. After I filled it with coolant, it was hydrolocked. YAY me.

this engine was in a truck that burned down, I wonder how the fire could have hurt the headgaskets? I drove it the day before it burned and it had no issues. engine was shut off when fire was noticed.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not much you can do with coolant in the cylinders now. Getting it out will be hard too. I feel draining all the coolant. Removing the glow plugs and slowly cranking the engine till you see what cylinder is wet. I don't think you hurt a piston or bent a rod but all this is a possibility too. I was not there to hear and see this engine crank. Once the water is out the plug hole install the plugs and run the engine till its good and warm. Shut it down and the cylinders will be ok. May want to drain off a little oil off the pan. See if any water got past the rings. Last thing you want to do is pump oil and water thru the engine. Nothing spreads bad news like oil and water.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Had a chance to look at it this morning, coolant in #8 yay.
Pulled head in record time, like less than 15 minutes (no cab on truckLOL). #8 has a crack several inches long, running top to bottom in the cylinder.
So in the end I answered my own question......it is worth nothing:mad:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry for the bad news but.. Just the block is scrap now. Every other part of this engine has a great value. All the rods, crank and damper needs to stay as one deal because of the balancing. Might want to include the flywheel too. But those turbo rods are hard to find in any condition. Just make sure the rods are the 33mm pin size and not the non turbo 28mm size. Its a bad idea to sell non turbo rods thinking they are turbo rods just because they came out of a turbo block. Now the heads are valuable too. If they have the oem exhaust valves they are inconel and again hard to find and really expensive. Actually the block could be brazed and then sleeved. It will work fine.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A NA engine worth 1000?!?!? I can't sell one for more than 400 that runs like a top!! Just not desired in my area I guess.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the 8th digit on the VIN number on the truck. If it's an M, it's a non turbo wrist pin block. I have one of those. All the proper signs of a Turbo block, but small wrist pins.

I thnk if the vin is a a K, you should have some parts in there worth some money. Where are you located? Midwest? Northeast? West?