What is the fix?

ibapaine

Reaction score
So I bought this truck in Dec so I’m a little new to the IDI’s. I’ve plumbed up most of the problems this truck has had except this one. See the pictures, looks like the oil filter leaking but it’s tight. There’s oil above it so I assume it’s the housing. How difficult of a job is that to replace? Is that even the problem? Also I drove this truck about 1500 miles sense I changed the oil in Jan. The leak was there then and it leaked only when warm after shut down. After it cools there is no leak. The strangest part about it was I never had to add any oil to the truck between oil changes. I just changed the oil again today and got 10 qts out?

Attachments

• 576BCEEA-2317-4053-9C24-BFF75DF469A6.jpeg
    576BCEEA-2317-4053-9C24-BFF75DF469A6.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 17A730FA-512C-4A25-82E4-D61025D5D661.jpeg
    17A730FA-512C-4A25-82E4-D61025D5D661.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
I have the same issue , I replaced my oil cooler which is right above you oil filter but mine leaks where the oil cooler header meets the block. Replacing the oil cooler is a messy job. Drain the oil , remove filter. drain the coolant from Rad , theres a plug above oil filter to drain the coolant from engine. I removed drivers side engine mount bolts jack the engine up an inch put a wood block in the mount then disconnect oil cooler and slide it out the back of the engine , replace all seals and bundle if its rusted out like mine then reasemble.its not to bad but takes some time. Ford quored me $ 600.00 in labour. main thing is that your not getting coolant in your oil , or oil in your coolant. I been living with my leak for a while . Plenty of vidoes on Utube about this job. Good luck.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The mount that the oil filter goes on is actually part of the oil cooler, so if you're sure it's not a valve cover gasket leaking and running down, it could be the oil cooler gasket as described above.

ibapaine

Reaction score
Yup that’s what I thought it was. Thanks for confirming my fears. With that being said if oil was in the coolant or vice versa. Then one or the other would have to be topped off from what I’m thinking. I haven’t had to add any fluid to this truck. Is it possible there mixing?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It could be that the outer edge of the gasket for the oil side is leaking (hence the dip) but hasn't ruptured internally yet. Check the oil dipstick and take off the radiator cap. If both look fine, they aren't mixing.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
With that being said if oil was in the coolant or vice versa. Then one or the other would have to be topped off from what I’m thinking. I haven’t had to add any fluid to this truck. Is it possible there mixing?
As long as your oil is nice and black and not gray, there's no coolant in it. The coolant and oil will mix when the engine runs and turn gray. As long as you can't see any oil when you pull the radiator cap, there's no oil in there. Since oil is lighter than water, it will float to the highest point in your cooling system which is the top of the radiator. Since you didn't mention either one, then no they're not mixing. Going from your pictures, you have an oil cooler o-ring that's leaking oil externally. You will have to replace the o-rings someday. The leak will not go away on it's own. When is up to you. The oil may start leaking into your cooling system, so I would get it over with soon.

ibapaine

Reaction score
I once thought that it was that simple. Then I messed with a Cummins. The injecter cups were bad. I didn’t know. Ruined the head. And the only sign was towards the end when I had to add a gallon of coolant every day. Before it was maybe a quart every week or so. Then in two days 2 gallons of coolant and a stop at a shop and $29,000 later now I know I got, got a whole lot of ways. That was in a 13 international pro star with a isx 15.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I had had a 3cyl Geo Metro that overheated ******* the highway (radiator leak i didn't catch). I had just enough coolant with me and once it cooled down (before a tow truck from roadside got to me) i refilled and it started right up and acted fine. It used a lot of coolant and oil forever after, probably a blown head gasket, but they never mixed, and it still got great mileage. So you just never know how things can go bad. I sold it telling the buyers all that so they knew that they were getting.

Edit: hahaha OMG the censorship! i said "hard" and "on" in regards to how it overheated and where.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I once thought that it was that simple. Then I messed with a Cummins. The injecter cups were bad. I didn’t know. Ruined the head. And the only sign was towards the end when I had to add a gallon of coolant every day. Before it was maybe a quart every week or so. Then in two days 2 gallons of coolant and a stop at a shop and $29,000 later now I know I got, got a whole lot of ways. That was in a 13 international pro star with a isx 15.
They make rings that you press into the head that fixes that 99% of the time now. I've installed my fair share of them. We call them ogre rings, cause they're huge and look like a ring.

ibapaine

Reaction score
They make rings that you press into the head that fixes that 99% of the time now. I've installed my fair share of them. We call them ogre rings, cause they're huge and look like a ring.
I know that now, I didn’t then. I don’t have that truck anymore it did me in. Then I went back to company driving and I couldn’t hack the schedule. 6/1 12/2 was to much of a burden on the family so I got out and haven’t been driving sense. So like I said, I got got by the wallet, shop and then the companies and now the wallet again bc I don’t make what I used to. It was and has been all around a very bad time. The only bright spot was this truck. I bought it and it’s been making me money but it’s not comparable to what that semi made me.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue , I replaced my oil cooler which is right above you oil filter but mine leaks where the oil cooler header meets the block. Replacing the oil cooler is a messy job. Drain the oil , remove filter. drain the coolant from Rad , theres a plug above oil filter to drain the coolant from engine. I removed drivers side engine mount bolts jack the engine up an inch put a wood block in the mount then disconnect oil cooler and slide it out the back of the engine , replace all seals and bundle if its rusted out like mine then reasemble.its not to bad but takes some time. Ford quored me $ 600.00 in labour. main thing is that your not getting coolant in your oil , or oil in your coolant. I been living with my leak for a while . Plenty of vidoes on Utube about this job. Good luck.

One thing you left out, how to get to the 4 front bolts. They are a P I T A to get to.
I read up on the various forums/threads etc...
I finally just jacked up the L/F, removed the Wheel, Batt & Tray, Coolant Bottle and Washer Bottle, then the inner plastic fender. Then the Bolts are looking at you.

More work? Yeah, but then you can replace the 2 3/8" rubber Fuel Hoses going to the original Water/Filter that are a pain to get to. Also wash up everything and get rid of the nasty dirty insulation Ford put on the inner Fender.

I agree, don`t dilly dalley thinking of fixing the OC, If it pukes oil into the Coolant, you will have a fun time cleaning out the system.

Goat

ibapaine

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice, I need to replace the fender anyway. The guy before put big tires on and cut the fenders so they would fit. While im at it I can replace the other side as well. Which lead me to another question. I have a leak on the other side. Oil is all over the starter but its doesn’t drip so I assume it’s not real bad. But what should I do while I’m over there? Feels like it would be a waste to only replace the fender.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Valve cover gaskets, also a good wash of the side of the engine. Wouldn't hurt to check the dipstick tube O ring, make sure it's nice and snug.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be worth sending an oil sample (after you get some miles on it) to Blackstone Labs. I did after I bought my 93 back in 2005, they found trace amounts of ant-freeze in my oil, couldn't see it visually. I ran another short oil change, and it too showed trace amounts. Pulled and rebuilt my oil cooler and my oil tests have been negative for anti-freeze ever since.

Well worth the cost of the oil test.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the Valve Cover leaking on to the Starter.
They don`t leak a lot of oil, just enough to make a
mess.
There is also a drain in the Valley Pan in the back that drains
down the back side of the engine, Not sure it it makes it
to the starter.

I hope you didn`t read that I said to remove the Steel fender to get to the Oil Cooler, just remove the inner plastic one.
Just love Ford designers, they put one lower fender bolt that is almost impossible to get to, need to open the door, and then.....well when Iam in the JY, I just remove the door.
Haven`t replaced a fender on my truck yet.

Edit: I thought I sent this off this morning...must have got side tracked in my old age. had to run up to Reno 60 miles and left the computer on all day. 9:25pm now. :Q

Goat