What Heavy Duty Truck Makes/Years did the Detroit Diesel 12v71 come in?

johnb11

Reaction score
My Apologies up front as I attempted to ask this prior and the thread ended off in Egypt....

I am hoping to CLARIFY and will make this question as simple as I can for CLARITY reasons. Again, my apologies for the repetition but I am unable to find the information that I need.

THE QUESTION:
  • I need to know what Makes, Models and Years of VERY LARGE SEMI TRUCKS that the Detroit Diesel 12v71 came in. FOR EXAMPLE, Kenworths? What Years?, PeterBuilts? What Years? that had the Detroit Diesel 12v71?

• I am a car and truck builder.
  • I have a Shop.
  • I do fabrication.
  • I build custom chassis.
  • I have been doing this for over 30 years.
  • I know what a car and a truck is and what engines came in them stock.

The Project

• I have a 5 Ton 1955 Ford Pickup Dually that is the same shape and size as a Half Ton with a widened half ton bed on it.
  • I am going to put a Detroit Diesel 12v71 in my 1955 Ford Truck.
  • I need to find one of those VERY LARGE BIG GIANT HUGE BIGGEST LARGEST HUGEST SEMI HEAVY DUTY TRUCKS that had or has a Detroit Diesel 12v71 in it so that I can purchase it and use the parts to complete my build. That's why I need to know what large trucks these engines came in so that I can find one a buy it.

Again, my sincerest apologies for dumbing this down as I truly mean no offense.
As I stated I attempted to post this prior and I guess I was not clear enough.
I truly thank you all for your help and support in helping me track down this information.
thank you for your time and expertise.
Sincerely
J

Last edited:

StBernardnot

Reaction score
Back in the early 70' we had a 12v in a crackerbox GMC. This was in the Marine Corps at Camp Lejeune. It was used for transporting landing craft & other BIG heavy stuff.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
First of all. Starting another thread when you do not get the answer you want is not acceptable. You should have politely stated that was not what you were looking for. Not delete the question you asked, and replace it with a PERSONAL ATTACK. As listed in the Oilburners Rules, that you acknowledged when you signed up to use this forum and be able to post. PERSONAL ATTACKS are not acceptable on Oilburners.net and can be disciplined, up to and including being banned from the forum.

I can assure you that I am NOT a "relative of Koalemos" as you stated.

In your post from last night, you had stated that you HAVE a 12V71 engine used in Marine and Generator Applications, and want to install it into a 1955 Ton Ford Truck (dually rear). What trucks came factory with the 12V71 that I can use as a doner. Reading this question, and this being primarily a pickup forum, and most members here have pickup sized vehicles. They way I read this question, and I apparently wasn't the only one, was what 50's era pickups came with a 12V71 engine factory that I can use as a doner. I even stated this may not the information you were looking for, and was attempting to be as helpful as possible with the question that was asked. You did not say it was a 5 Ton truck in the previous post, and was not clear you were specifically asking for larger trucks, you made it sound like you were working on a 1 Ton Dually, and wanted a 1 Ton Dually sized doner with a 12V71. That is the way you stated the question. That should be the only thread on this subject, and not starting this one, and being a SMARTA$$ after attacking a member here, and calling them a name, and then stating your question in this new thread like we were all a bunch of window licking, drooling morons. Not once, was your knowledge or ability questioned, because they were stated in the last thread, that you deleted.

This was not the appropriate way to start your membership on Oilburners. I hope your use this as a learning experience and have an enjoyable experience on this forum. If you would have stated what you were looking for the in the last post, you many have gotten the answer you were looking for, rather than getting mad and calling someone names and stomping off to a new thread to pout.

johnb11

Reaction score
Snicklas,
My sincerest apologies, I understand if I must be banned. I truly had no intentions of insulting anyone other than the person whom sent approximately fifty or more emails directly to my personal email from a Hotmail Account. Not sure where the breach occurred. As you have stated I should have tried to rescue the thread but I was not particularly happy with the comments I received in email. I am not referring to the email on the forums, but the email we used attached to our Forum Account. I probably could have handled this better but as of late, the last 8 months consulting informing the powers that be that I work for on my other day job explaining to them in great detail why they should not migrate to the cloud, and or farm out their Dev work offshore to India, China and or Australia only to be proven right time and time again and have to suffer the Target, Sears, Home Depot, Wells Fargo, K-Mart, security breaches, stolen credit cards, and everyone personal info my patients has worn thin and I have absolutely no faith in anyone to do the right thing in Cyber Space. Regardless, it does not excuse my lack of patients and for this I apologize. The comical thing of all this... IS,, that it appears that NO Class 8 vehicle, heavier, smaller, or Heavy Equipment did a 12v71 and or 12v92 come in Stock Factory Production. It looks to be all special order which would explain the reason I was not able to search and find any Heavy Vehicles, Equipment with these engines installed in Production. It appears poetic justice for my impatient? I will leave it up to you as again I have no issues with your decision.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
johnb11,

At this point, I will let this drop with the above warning. I have not heard anything mentioned by new members in the past about being bombarded with E-Mails after signing up on this forum. If this is the case, that is something that you would need to address with the user Shaggy as he is the owner of this forum, and would be the one best able to deal with that type of issue. I would PM message him with the information, to let him know what you experienced.

I wish you luck with the build. We have several members here that have transplanted engines into trucks, wither it be a Cummins, or a Newer PSD into an IDI era truck, or like a current build, a 97 PSD into a 63 Ranchero, An IH IDI into an IH Built Lightline (We have one in a Scout II and a couple in pickups), We even have a couple of IH DT466's being transplanted into pickups, which has seemed to take a shoe horn and a large vat of Vaseline..... LOL.... Once you are on the path, please take and post lots of pictures, we all like pictures here on OB. You will find that we are not like most other forums. We are more the sitting around a campfire and talking about trucks and other things. Someone asks a question, we try to answer it, not flame them for the question, or give the automatic response of "Why didn't you use the search and look for yourself" most other places do. We are fairly laid back, and the moderation staff does not rule with an "iron fist". We intercede when necessary, otherwise, we just stay in the shadows and "keep and eye on things". The biggest thing you will see different here, is the attitudes are checked at the door. No one one here will "throw their weight around", and no one is out to prove that I have the "biggest you-know-what". We like it that way, and strive to keep it that way. Don't get me wrong, there have been incidents where just that has happened. They were dealt with, and all was back to normal.

Welcome to Oilburners, good luck on your build, and I hope we are able to help you, and you contribute in return.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you may already know, Detroit designed their engines to be stacked to make larger engines.. for example, a 12 V 92 engine is actually two 6 V 92 engines joined together. There is also a 16 V 92 [two 8 V 92 engines back to back] and then there is the 16 V 120 [ two 8 V 120 engines back to back] if you really want to go for overkill..

Detroit uses a pretty simple coding system to identify engines.
6 or 8 or 12 or 16 = Number of cylinders
V = The V configuration
71 , 92, 120 = the displacement of each cylinder in cubic inches.
After the above comes the "add on stuff"
MUI = Mechanical Unit Injectors [old style mechanical governors and injectors]

DDEC = Detroit Diesel Electronic Control [computer control of speed and injectors (and a whole bunch of other things)]

TA = Turbo charged and After Cooled... Turbo sets on top of the Blower [gear driven blowers are part of the 2 stroke Detroit design] with an After Cooler setting below the blower to "chill the air charge" ]

Inline Detroits don't have the "V" identifier.

In general terms, the cylinder liner and piston / rod assembly from a 2-92 [inline, 2 cylinder] will fit in a 6V, 8V, 16V, engine. This reduced the parts count and increased the customer support for Detroit 2 stroke Diesels which dominated the power market since about early 1930's.

EPA rules tightened so much the 2 stroke design was abandoned for new engine sales about 1989 time frame and replaced with the Series 60 4 stroke DDEC.

I presently own an 8 V 92 powered Mercedes 40 ft bus... just sold 3 GMC buses powered by 6V92 Detroits. So, I'm more than a little familiar with them.

Good luck with your project... Go big or go home.. haha

johnb11

Reaction score
GMan,
I totally Dig your Avatar!, SnowMobile WheelChair? with two MiniGuns? GROOVY!

I'm not a big fan of anything GM Made, its either been Ford or Mopar. However, when it comes to Detroit Diesels this has been the only time I have made an exception due to the reasons you have aforementioned, also the fact that the designing that went into these are extremely impressive. For a Diesel Engine two stroke is the way to go due to being a self combusting. Its too bad they couldn't get them to the emission levels they needed to be for the feds.

Really close to the Port of Seattle and do quite a bit of work on Marine Stuff as well as engines. So access and collecting them seemed a good fit. I have three 12v71's, couple of 8v71, 6v53's, 353's, 453's, tons of parts for them. The big mistake I have seen as of late in the Marine side is repowering with newer engines and models. I do my best to talk my customers out of it. Most of the time I'm successful. I haven't seen the fuel efficiency trade off at all as everyone states there is. My point I make is it only takes one problem and one trip into the shop to blow through any money that was saved in fuel cost.... A fresh rebuilt Detroit Diesel 2 stroke does pretty well fuel wise being built properly and it was in place running reliably for how many years? Probably the sickest thing I have seen in the Marine Industry is someone repowering from a Detroit Diesel to a throw away CAT 3208, which that fact is conveniently kept from Mr. Customer?

I have 1941 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck that Im fitting a 353T, hope to be completed in a couple months, then I can figure out the 12v71 in my 55 Ford. I'm trying to decide if I should just buy a semi class 8 chassis or beater and do a frame swap? or modify my existing chassis since its already a 3 ton chassis, shorten a heavy front beam axle and call it a day. The reason I was hoping there might be a lot more trucks OUT THERE that were fitted with the buzzin dozen. Still thinking about it. It all comes down to my requirement of dropping my truck in the weeds, disc brakes, power steering, and wheel choices. If I cut and shorten an axle it can only be Forged along with needing an oven to heat it at least 400* then welding it back up. I may have an axle made. Finding a late model class 8 truck front beam axle that's narrow like an early pickup is not likely. Also, I would consider Independent Front Suspension but not sure what the availability is on Class 8 Trucks. That would be better as I would have more clearance under the engine and easier to modify and drop with Airbags. Still need more research.

Thanks again.
J

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not build a full on independent suspension, with air bags on all 4 corners. With a 12V engine it would be the only one on the block [or in the world].

Sounds like you have some serious fabrication skills to draw from. "Go big or go home" I always say.. ha

johnb11

Reaction score
Yea, I thought about Independent ,but lots of work, where as a simple axle with air bags would be easier, faster to completion.
Im probably going to make an axle, or narrow an existing one, I may be able to have a Spring Shop modify or make up with an existing axle but the closest I think they can come in track width is 69", I need to be at 59".
Easy enough, the only other issue I need to figure is the engine length, transmission, and shifter location, and or shifting, I might end up with a remote shifter assy. Hopefully not, but its looking that way.