what goes into pulling an idi?

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im looking to buy a 92 7.3 core for 300$ just so i can take it apart and really see how these are built and maybe sell the parts
i am wondering what goes into pulling these motor can i pull it with the trans and transfer case attached? do i have to remove the hood or core support?
what's the approximate time this would take? im sort of mechanically included I'm pulled a trans injectors etc
could i make my 300$ investment back by selling motor parts?

Last edited:

420Bullnose

Reaction score
When I pulled a 7.3 IDI, to make life easier I pulled the Core Support, Hood, Tranny & T-Case (Also, should add with all fluids drained my cherry picker wasn't very happy with the Size of the motor).

I did the job when time allowing, so bits at a time and it was my first IDI pull.
Took around 4 hours collectively
(Also, should add that I was working on it at a slope on a hill, outside in the Mud during Winter).

As far as getting $300 back after tearing the motor down, unless it's heap of Junk parts that are worn or broken that are "Unusable", you can Definitely break even on $300 or add a small profit on it.

Hope this Helps,

420Bullnose

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've always left the hood, but I did everything else. Last one I did I actually left the trans/tcase mated up and just left them on a trans scissor jack.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have pulled a 7.3 IDI and a E4OD at the same time with the core support removed. It wasn't fun fighting the transmission and if given the option again I would definitely separate them but overall it took about 6 hrs all together. When I pulled my 7.3 out of my ZF5 truck I disconnected the trans and pulled the core support and pulled the engine only and that all took about 4 hrs.

As far as the value of engine parts... that is a unknown variable. If the injection pump is good and the heads are good and the block has no problems then it could all be worth something to someone. But if you don't know all of the above is in usable condition then I wouldn't expect to make money or even break even on the deal once you break it all down. To many "if its good" to say its worth it. But if you just want to tear one down just to get your head around the mechanics of the engine then a core engine for $300 is a better starting point than pulling a running engine out of your truck to explore in. You could end up with a shelf full of parts to build your next engine with, or a bunch of stuff to take to the scrap yard. The real question for you should be is gaining the knowledge from tearing down this engine worth $300 to you.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I remove the hood only. I lay all of the accessories to the side and then pull just the engine. The only time that I pulled the engine/trans/transfer as a set, I had to fight it so much that I can't fathom why anyone would want to fight it that much. It was a wrecked truck so I used a sawzall to remove the majority of the core support first.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of leaving the hood, but the core support has to go. I might struggle with the transmission, but not a transmission/transfer cace. It's frightening having an engine that big(@1000lbs) high enough to go out the top with a cherry picker. I'm for keeping it as low as possible. If you were in NW Florida right now, it would take 4 or 5 mths to get it done. It's just too dang hot to powerhouse a task of that magnitude.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how you remove the engine. My cherry picker doesn't go high enough to clear the core support, but if you use an overhead crane, well, bobs you're uncle.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Some cherry pickers do go high enough to clear the core support. You can also let the air out of the front tires to lower the core support down and gain clearance.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I bought a BlueBird one like this years ago to work on trucks for $150. It goes higher than standard pickers do. I have not had to pull my 7.3 engine knock on wood, so not 100% sure it would clear the core support.

In general I find it easier to pull the hood, use a leveler, and a forklift, but not everyone has one of those laying around. The forklift can go very high, it does not have legs going under the car to catch on things, and its rated usally at a minimum of 2500lbs. I have pulled several engines that way (Some with the tranny, some without.), but I have yet to pull a 7.3 or 6.9.

Bluebird makes these ones with the longer legs and longer bent arm, but most shops and rental yards by the smaller ones for cars. (Harder to find these, yet to see another local one for sale.) These also can take the heavier weights as they are a solid welded frame, not foldable like a HF. But it is much easy and user friendly to store a foldable cherry picker. (Mine sits behind my trailer at the storage yard.)

Attachments

• Cherry Picker.jpg
    Cherry Picker.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Bluebird Picker.jpg
    Bluebird Picker.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 6

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
It's 1000lbs waaayyyyy up there.
This!!! I actually caught my cherry picker in a small crack in the concrete and rolled the whole thing over with an idi engine. My wife on the other side of the house came running, said it sounded like someone hit the house.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EASILY managed! And it's not that far up there.
That's waaayyyyy up there, and I'm always concerned about something like Nero just confirmed. And i still have the 6'8" Peter Steele image of Nero in my head, so he should have stood over the motor and picked it up while carooning "Black number 1".

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of good comments.

I removed the core support and left the hood on, pulled the engine only. I wouldn't want to pull engine + transmission + transfer case.

If the truck is rusty, plan to use a sawzall at times and double the amount of time needed to pull it.

If you click on the link in my signature, that will give you an idea of the process that I used.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
This!!! I actually caught my cherry picker in a small crack in the concrete and rolled the whole thing over with an idi engine. My wife on the other side of the house came running, said it sounded like someone hit the house.
I always think when pulling engines on cars, if this lift piston fails while sliding it over the front, this engine is going to take out the front of this car.

Nero I am sure your heart sank as you saw it going over. Hopefully the wise part of you tried briefly to stop it, then realized your not Superman and let it go so as not to get hurt.