What do you do about different VINs in a cab swap??

94IDIT

Reaction score
I know some guys on here have swapped cabs before and I'm just wondering what yall do about the Vin sticker. Obviously it doesn't match the truck, so do you swap the sticker too?cookoo I would think that moving those would be illegal but what do I know:dunno Been thinking about doing this but the thought of a cop ever checking into to it and realizing the numbers didn't match the truck isn't really pleasant. You'd have to explain your ass off and even then I'm sure there could be a pretty hefty fine involved if he wasn't inclined to believe you....

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the state. Here in Texas you go to the title office with the paperwork filled out from the officer who inspected it and the receipts from buying the other cab and they make a sticker that get stuck on the doorjamb assigning the old vin to that cab.

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the dash, and drilled the rivets from the underside of both VIN tags just enough to get it off, but not enough to drill all the way through. I then epoxied the VIN tag from the original cab to the new cab, and the original rivets / tag still look original (untampered). For the VIN sticker on the door I just glued it on as well.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The legal way to do it depends on state laws. Michigan requires all titles to be submitted and the vehicle is inspected once the work is completed and a new title is issued by the inspector with a new vin tag placed on the cab. The vehicle then has an assembled title.
You'll see why in my sig that Mater is a 2007. :D

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Why not just simply pop off the rivets of the plate, and re-install on the new cab? Who cares if it's illegal. If done correctly, who's gonna know?

94IDIT

Reaction score
Why not just simply pop off the rivets of the plate, and re-install on the new cab? Who cares if it's illegal. If done correctly, who's gonna know?

My thoughts exactly;Sweet

Yeah I think I'm inclined to agree with you guys. There are no vehichle inspections in South Dakota and I've been pulled over MANY times and never once had the vin looked at. I asked around quite a bit around here locally, even asked as cop and he didn't know but said he woudln't really care as long as the truck on the registration matched the tag on the truck. The only difference would be it's a bricknose extended cab going on a 92+ truck so it'll have the split side windows. I doubt many cops would notice that though.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
you're average cop wouldn't know the difference between a 91 and a 92 they just don't know, unless he is also a ford truck nut like myself!

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
As long as you don't give the cop any reasonable suspicion or probable cause for a vin search, I wouldn't be too worried about the vin plate being swapped. Most cops are into new sports cars or big trucks/boats. I highly doubt they'd notice split windows on a 92 being non-oem.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the police wont be the problem, the insurance is. if your in a collision and your vin tag says its a ex-cab, but its a 4 door cab then the insurance is going to wonder why, then there going to call in police to find out why.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
the police wont be the problem, the insurance is. if your in a collision and your vin tag says its a ex-cab, but its a 4 door cab then the insurance is going to wonder why, then there going to call in police to find out why.

Yes. Thats where you can get into trouble.

but if you are put a reg cab in place of a reg cab swap the rivited on vin tag, No one will ever know

but if you are put a super cab in place of a super cab swap the rivited on vin tag, No one will ever know.
As for the differnt supercab windows, if anyone askes, just tell em you changed those

but if you are put a crew cab in place of a crew cab swap the rivited on vin tag, No one will ever know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online