What do I need to know

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the plunge and bought a 05 6.0....... I need oil filters, fuel filters, and........ Where is it cheap to buy them....

And what else may I need to know....... I am a ford dummy, fill me in....

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First and foremost, if you bomb it, make it so you leave NO TRACKS and can remove all performance products before taking it to Ford for ANY service. They will send you pcaking if they find a chip or any modifications to drivretrain. Secondly, I would get on an oil analysis regimine for the first year or so of ownership. Some of the 6.0's were notorious for fuel in oil, pretty sure that has been resolved through PCM developement. Thirdly, enjoy one of the best made trucks on the road.

Congrats on the pruchase.

on edit;

Supplier of filters and such, alot of the Ford guys use this outfit.

DIS

Last edited:

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had great luck with Quadzilla modules and absolutely hated the Diablo Predator when I ran one for a few weeks. Unlike most folks my tranny was 100% original (never even changed the fluid) after 60K miles of bombing and I personally feel it is because the Quad boxes don't change line pressure.

I have 3 or 4 Wix oil filters we can make a deal on.

On the frame mounted fuel filter be sure to drain it first before removing it or you will take a bath.

Un-plug the EGR on top of the motor to lower EGT's 100-150 degrees and double oil change intervals.

It will sound great with a $50 muffler delete pipe and that will drop EGT's another 75-100.

Find a mod friendly dealer/mechanic/service manager in your area and always remove a module or programmer before hand.

Hint: The code a programmer/module leaves is the same code as running the batteries dead.

Last edited:

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TMB,

Let me know on the filters (PM) And if there are any more details on how to unplug the egr... That would be cool.... Programers would be cool.... Instead of a box.... But we will see..... I like the Edge Box, never dealt with anyones else but edge and VanAken......

Swany,
Guess I will be a weirdo with ya!

Brian

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Compare THESE prices to any above links. Personally, I'd avoid Wix filters.

The first thing I'd do is get an oil bypass filter system. I have the one by Oil Guard and it has served me well.

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Originally posted by lschultz
Well all this is good but you bought the wrong truck.LOL

I just had to say it. Now you ford boys calm down and pull them undies out of the crack of your :moon: :D :D

was wondering when the ***** would come out of the rose bush;) LOL LOL

swanee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye on your oil level and DON'T put in 15 qts. at oil change, otherwise it's over the top of the bulb on the dipstick:***:. Try 13 qts., then add if needed. 13 puts it right in the middle of the operating range for me. ;Really

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Originally posted by lschultz
Thank you. I have been called a ***** before.LOL and many other names too.:moon:

guess I hafta be carefull now that you are the pohleece;)