What diesel??

Matt Henning

Reaction score
So I joined this forum because in the future I want to do a diesel swap or possibly multiple,

I prefer the gmt400 series or even the 99s era s10

I was recently looking at the 2 stroke detroit diesel as potential idea , I don't want to do a 4bt because it is so common, I wanted unique, goal is get mileage and power, I also looked into the isuzu NPR as an option but I'm still new to this I just know that I want a diesel that's good for mileage torque and possibly even power

Any suggestions for ease of swap as it will be my first, as well as recommendations for a good balance between power and economy

Silverado is my preferred truck of choice

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Anything mechanically injected is easy, but you need something that can be adapted to a smaller (pickup) size trans.
You'd be better off sticking with a full size truck. Just because the size/weight of most diesels. Otherwise you may be doing some custom firewall and suspension work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would stay away from 2 cycle diesels. They are old and not very efficient. I had a Detroit Diesel 8V92TA in a dump truck and it worked well. Not the best fuel mileage but it was a Screamin Jimmy and it did go. In California we cannot even drive a diesel that is older then 2000. :***:

Matt Henning

Reaction score
I would stay away from 2 cycle diesels. They are old and not very efficient. I had a Detroit Diesel 8V92TA in a dump truck and it worked well. Not the best fuel mileage but it was a Screamin Jimmy and it did go. In California we cannot even drive a diesel that is older then 2000. :***:
Them screamin Jimmy's sound so good, I would think in a lighter truck like a Silverado it would do better on mileage. And have plenty of power

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Its tough to beat what a 6BT does - economy, power, and reliability.

Good news is its readily available with std automotive jewelry in Dodges. I suggest the '89-93 models since the VE injection pump shines at lower rpm, where the economy is. The '89-91 non-intercooled version will save some space.

Matt Henning

Reaction score
Its tough to beat what a 6BT does - economy, power, and reliability.

Good news is its readily available with std automotive jewelry in Dodges. I suggest the '89-93 models since the VE injection pump shines at lower rpm, where the economy is. The '89-91 non-intercooled version will save some space.
I know Cummins are great at mileage and power but so many Cummins swaps have been done that I wanted to go after a different angle

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Fair enough.

I bought my first Dodge to drive for a short spell before pulling the cummins out for a swap. Didn't go as planned. Liked driving the cummins so much - I didn't even care what was wrapped around it. :joker: Enough challenges in life... choose wisely ;)

One of the other large deciding factors was the Dodge already has an adequate 5 speed trans w/OD.

Other diesels I considered before going 6BT cummins:
- OM617 mercedes (smallish displacement, almost impossible to find with a manual trans)
- 4BT cummins (2x-3x the cost of a 6BT)
- small cabover truck diesels - Isuzu/Mitsubishi (most similar to 4BT; some 6BT-sized; also pricey)
- DT360 International (slightly larger/heavier than 6BT; uses wet liners)

Matt Henning

Reaction score
Fair enough.

I bought my first Dodge to drive for a short spell before pulling the cummins out for a swap. Didn't go as planned. Liked driving the cummins so much - I didn't even care what was wrapped around it. :joker: Enough challenges in life... choose wisely ;)

One of the other large deciding factors was the Dodge already has an adequate 5 speed trans w/OD.

Other diesels I considered before going 6BT cummins:
- OM617 mercedes (smallish displacement, almost impossible to find with a manual trans)
- 4BT cummins (2x-3x the cost of a 6BT)
- small cabover truck diesels - Isuzu/Mitsubishi (most similar to 4BT; some 6BT-sized; also pricey)
- DT360 International (slightly larger/heavier than 6BT; uses wet liners)
I had an idea years ago about swapping a dt466 in a 90s era f-2/350

I want to stick with an auto trans , I prefer a 6 speed or better I had a crazy idea which would probably be on the high end of cost get the gm 8 speed transmission off there 6.2l z71(I want 4wd) and bolt it to a v6 or 4 cyl diesel I wouldn't mind the dt series my dad drove a straight truck he said that engine would run

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Granted its a much newer generation diesel, but I know a couple folks with the canyon/colorado and it's baby duramax. They seem to like them.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Agree with the comments on the 6bt.

On the Detroit 4-53t or 6v53t. The only reason to do a Detroit really is that you just love them. I do and I would, but not so much for practical reasons.

4bt swaps dot com has a Detroit section. There are some very serious Detroit nuts out there. Leid Diesel is doing a lot still.

I would love to do a 3208 Cat but that is another story. I had a fleet of them and thought 636 cu in V8 Power was fun. But probably not too practical.

Also wanted to do a ToroFlow 478 cu in V6.

Most of my ideas go back before the 6.9 came out lol.

Gr8ful

Reaction score
I have a 5.9 12 valve Cummins in a one ton 12' flatbed dually with 115k I plan to sell. IMHO best one made. I love my IDI also but the 12 valve 6BT is king.

Matt Henning

Reaction score
Agree with the comments on the 6bt.

On the Detroit 4-53t or 6v53t. The only reason to do a Detroit really is that you just love them. I do and I would, but not so much for practical reasons.

4bt swaps dot com has a Detroit section. There are some very serious Detroit nuts out there. Leid Diesel is doing a lot still.

I would love to do a 3208 Cat but that is another story. I had a fleet of them and thought 636 cu in V8 Power was fun. But probably not too practical.

Also wanted to do a ToroFlow 478 cu in V6.

Most of my ideas go back before the 6.9 came out lol.
I like the sound and the non emissions and not many people have a Detroit in there pick up the v6 is much more work but the 4cyl should be a decent fit, I like to have a different truck than is on the roads

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an idea years ago about swapping a dt466 in a 90s era f-2/350

I want to stick with an auto trans , I prefer a 6 speed or better I had a crazy idea which would probably be on the high end of cost get the gm 8 speed transmission off there 6.2l z71(I want 4wd) and bolt it to a v6 or 4 cyl diesel I wouldn't mind the dt series my dad drove a straight truck he said that engine would run

The DT360 would be easier to swap into a F series truck than the 466. Several guys have done it already and Carson Stauffer diesel makes conversion parts for it.