What did you do with your diesel conversion today?

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really dont understand what the fixation is with v8 diesels. I'm guessing it just caters to the American hotrod culture that prefers v8s in trucks. Having swapped in the 12valve, there's no way I'm going back to the IDI. The IDI is cool, but....

I love the way the inline six settles in and grunts up the hills. Smooth torque, no slingshotting or screaming rpms.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Started putting a little tiny intercooler, in my little tiny truck, with a little tiny motor. LOL

Attachments

• IMAG0184.jpg
    IMAG0184.jpg
    896.2 KB · Views: 63

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started putting a little tiny intercooler, in my little tiny truck, with a little tiny motor. LOL

that almost looks like a custom billet aluminum grille ...........................except functional ;Sweet

needlenose: I've had both 6cyl and V8diesels as well as 4 cyl and 5 cyl inline diesels. the V8 is just a much smoother power for a passenger vehicle. I don't mind the inlines in a specifically work vehicle but the V8 diesels are no different than a V8 gas on the road. I've had a 7.3 powerstroke apart with just shy of 1,000,000 km on it and it had very little internal wear. yes there was some but nothing a minor freshening and a bearing roll would have put it back into service. unfortunately the van was completely scrap otherwise here in the saltbelt.

only diesel I had that I didn't like was 5.7 oldsmobile and it was in over its head before the starter even was mounted on the engine. that one gave them all a bad name.:rotflmao

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Would you believe it if I told you there's some guys with the 5.7's like the people on this forum are with the 6.9/7.3?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah but its a GM thing, I prefer not to try and understand.

I had one and did a lot of research on it , unlike the guys that built it. (long before the internet!) I preferred to not bother fixing mine. hey I was young and stupid, 1st yr truck/coach apprentice. haven't owned a GM now for many years ......................................it wasn't my last but it was my worst:rotflmao

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you believe it if I told you there's some guys with the 5.7's like the people on this forum are with the 6.9/7.3?
Hey, even the Pinto has a following cookoo :rotflmao

Seriously, to each his own, but I wouldn't want one...I'll stick with my TDI or an OM617 for a car diesel ;Sweet

dbshelton

Reaction score
I installed a coolant filter. It really cleaned up the water. Ever since I got this engine running the coolant has been dirty looking (maybe from setting up for several years?) Even after a couple of flushes and Cascade it still had a dirty look. No oil, just dirt. I think I will drive it another couple of hundred miles, and change the water and filter one more time.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, even the Pinto has a following cookoo :rotflmao

Seriously, to each his own, but I wouldn't want one...I'll stick with my TDI or an OM617 for a car diesel ;Sweet

HEY!!!!

Honestly, the Pinto's weren't a bad little car, back in the day. We actually had 2 Wagons..... one was Red with "woodgrain" and the other was Road Cone Orange...... I don't think the wagon's had the fuel tank issue the hatchbacks had...... Really the biggest issue with the Pinto was how Ford decided to handle the problem..... that is what bit them in the ass and gave the Pinto a bad name......

VW's little 1.6 N/A IDI isn't a bad little engine either...... it's just a bit...... um.... slow...... but mine has 304,000 and counting.......

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I got the intercooler plumbed in over the weekend. Its nice to get that cross pipe off the top of the engine. Seems to be working really well too.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I got the intercooler plumbed in over the weekend. Its nice to get that cross pipe off the top of the engine. Seems to be working really well too.
What no pics? LOL

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
yeah, I snapped a couple. Not all that interesting, but the pipes went in pretty clean, and now I can move the oil fill from the goofy #3 spot up to #1 where it belongs.

Attachments

• IMAG0189.jpg
    IMAG0189.jpg
    972.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMAG0190.jpg
    IMAG0190.jpg
    757.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0192.jpg
    IMAG0192.jpg
    815.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0193.jpg
    IMAG0193.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 30

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
-

Cummins wheelbarrow!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

dbshelton

Reaction score
I installed a coolant filter. It really cleaned up the water. Ever since I got this engine running the coolant has been dirty looking (maybe from setting up for several years?) Even after a couple of flushes and Cascade it still had a dirty look. No oil, just dirt. I think I will drive it another couple of hundred miles, and change the water and filter one more time.

Success! After 2 filter changes in about 1,000 miles total, the coolant looks nice and clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online