What additives when we go to "no sulphur" diesel?

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that in 2006, we will be using diesel without any sulphur. I have heard that sulphur is necessary for lubricity. Are we going to have to put special lubricity agents in the fuel? Stanadyne does this I know, but what happens to an engine if it's not used? :confused:

Whit

Reaction score
The way I understand it alot of the refineries are already makin the low sulfer fuel, sulfer in the fuel add alot of lubricating properties so thats what will be missing is lubrication, any fuel additive will give some of that back to us but IMHO not as goo as the ol days. I have always and will continue to use an additive forever.

Cheers, Kevin

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe we'll all have to put some biodiesel in our diesel to make up for the loss in lubricity. Maybe it will become like ethanol in gas...something else to help out the farmers and make the diesels run OK.

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run marvels red mystery oil it is cheap, I also run power service once in a while to clean the injectors and up the cetan. See ya

Jerry

Dunce
Reaction score
I was using Primrose 405 but have switched to Redline 85 Plus and like it much better. Just my .02

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
haz-mat19 said:
I run marvels red mystery oil it is cheap, I also run power service once in a while to clean the injectors and up the cetan. See ya

Since Marvel is so darn red, personally I'd never use it because if your tank is tested for off road diesel...you'd have alot of explainin' to do...unnecessarily! I'll stick with Stanadyne.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
monte-
we have low sulfur diesel in Kalifornia already. The stuff was the reason for BK'ing SP rail. I used to run redline 85 in my trucks but gave up after a while. I had three trucks packing 150-250miles a day, as a result, I was buying redline in a 6gal case. do the math, I could just stock up on IP's before having to deal with additives. Besides, do you really want e having more power at my throttle foot? :eek:

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
monte-
we have low sulfur diesel in Kalifornia already. The stuff was the reason for BK'ing SP rail. I used to run redline 85 in my trucks but gave up after a while. I had three trucks packing 150-250miles a day, as a result, I was buying redline in a 6gal case. do the math, I could just stock up on IP's before having to deal with additives. Besides, do you really want e having more power at my throttle foot? :eek:

I know we have low sulpur diesel in CA already, but the new spec says "no sulphur". I've been using Stanadyne and Stanadyne Jr. Never heard about Redline. Is "lubricity" only for the injection pump, or does it also help lube engine components? If lubricity is lost in new fuels, it seems like the additive market will be even more robust, and biodiesel will be a cheaper alternative than most.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grey Wolf,

That's a great couple of links. I read them thoroughly. My understanding now is that there are two main potential problems with S15 fuel. One is the loss of lubricity, which they seem do have done something to compensate for, but I'm not sure if I believe it's enough. I will use lubricity agents as well. The second seems to be that the fuel tends to dry out and shrink buna o-rings that we find everywhere in our diesel engines. Especially problematic will be the fuel return lines and injector seals in our engines. They recommend replacing them with new o-rings, but don't specify another material. I'm wondering if the manufacturers will start using viton or other materials for their o-rings to counteract this.

Thanks again for the info. Good stuff. ;Sweet

Whit

Reaction score
We use alot of "Viton G" O rings at work and I can tell you that they are very very spendy like atleast 10 fold over Buna, we have found that EPDM O rings will hold up as well as the Viton G will....................I dont know if they are compatable with diesel fuel though

Grey Wolf

Reaction score
I guess time will tell on the seal issue and the injection shops will be the first to see and report problems, but the people at DuPont seem confident that their Viton product will be OK in the ULSD environment......

Since there is ULSD in use in some areas of the country now you would think there would be a lot of buzz on these boards about problems but I haven't seen anything yet........

http://www.dupontelastomers.com/Applications/Automotive/emissions.asp

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whitmore said:
We use alot of "Viton G" O rings at work and I can tell you that they are very very spendy like atleast 10 fold over Buna, we have found that EPDM O rings will hold up as well as the Viton G will....................I dont know if they are compatable with diesel fuel though

IMHO O-rings are not a major cost when you consider how much fuel will leak out of your return line system before you notice it and can get it fixed. When I used to buy o-rings in quantity, smaller ones were 3-5 cents each.
Even at 10x the cost of buna o-rings, it shouldn't be the most expensive set of components we have to buy.