what 4kw starter?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found that a good gear reduction starter is plenty. Cheap rebuilds may be your problem more than anything else.
Also, if you have a slow starter, just take it apart. 50% chance it just needs a good cleaning and re-greasing. I've fixed a couple that way, made them work nicely.

Also, making sure you have good cables and clean terminals is also a big deal - had a truck sound like the battery was shot; turned out to be corrosion between the post and the terminal.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I've found that a good gear reduction starter is plenty. Cheap rebuilds may be your problem more than anything else.
Also, if you have a slow starter, just take it apart. 50% chance it just needs a good cleaning and re-greasing. I've fixed a couple that way, made them work nicely.

Also, making sure you have good cables and clean terminals is also a big deal - had a truck sound like the battery was shot; turned out to be corrosion between the post and the terminal.

my starter works just like it should....just wanting the extra cranking speed of the 4kw starter.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IdIot swears by the power master series. I know db electrical sells one also. My 3.something kw spins the engine pretty good so the 4 must be like a turbine spooling up.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have never heard the 4kw on an idi, but I have put many on 7.3 pstrokes, and the cranking speed is very fast.

Thinking that maybe extra cranking speed will help this low compression **** start easier this winter.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking that maybe extra cranking speed will help this low compression **** start easier this winter.
Key here is making sure the glow plug system is in good shape, and your timing is right.
If you are smoking and idling rough on cold startup in reasonable temperatures, you need to fix one or the other.

Seriously... Most IDIs I come across have glow plug issues and retarded engine timing. Stuff wears, and the timing ends up retarded.
If you see white/gray/blue smoke, at idle or high RPMs... that's retarded timing, NOT oil burning.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Key here is making sure the glow plug system is in good shape, and your timing is right.
If you are smoking and idling rough on cold startup in reasonable temperatures, you need to fix one or the other.

Seriously... Most IDIs I come across have glow plug issues and retarded engine timing. Stuff wears, and the timing ends up retarded.
If you see white/gray/blue smoke, at idle or high RPMs... that's retarded timing, NOT oil burning.

I think you missed the low compression **** part......I have known this truck since it had 30k (now 380k) and it never has been a good starter.
Last time I screwed a gauge into it, it blew 275ish pretty evenly.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you missed the low compression **** part......I have known this truck since it had 30k (now 380k) and it never has been a good starter.
Last time I screwed a gauge into it, it blew 275ish pretty evenly.
Are you sure the stuff I mentioned is good?

I had an '88 block I pulled for rebuild. Drank a quart every 50 miles or so, had a bunch of cracked rings, .020" of bore taper... but it would fire right up when cold.
I'm thinking the compression was similar, but that was a few years ago.
The key, though, was good timing and good glow plugs(had a manual setup on that).

Black dawg

Reaction score
Everything is in good shape, if it is not, this thing WONT start when it gets cold. I have had some pretty worn out 6.9 and 7.3 motors that you couldn't keep up with adding oil to, that started like an idi should. This engine even when it was very good shape didn't start right. Probably will never have it apart either, as I really don't use it that much anymore, and will probably just stick a used motor in it at some point. So far I have had a good 7.3, a rebuilt 6.9, and a 97 12v motor to put in this truck, but never found the time to get the job done, and sold them.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as posted, im a powermaster ******.
I run them in hotrods where the starter is right by the exhaust and gets thermobeat
in boats that are around constant moisture
and for the past 2 years in my IDI, and they are great.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a powermaster in mine as well. It's been in my truck about 10 years now and still works great.