Welding an entire firewall on....

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Finding a brick cab locally isn't happening. Not one in good shape anyway thats affordable. However, I found a couple OBS cabs that are. I don't want to do all kinds of fab work so I was wondering, Can I just cut off my firewall and the obs and switch them? The OBS has the rear window I want and is "newer", Might even come with the sliding rear window already. I also noticed, Everywhere they used that body sealer, Is where I have bad rust....

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Where are you located, I might be able to help with an affordable cab if you are near central PA.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
structually unsafe idea. change out the cab completely.
in short, your cab is designed to be a "safety cage of sorts" when you roll over onto you lid. even though it looks bad when you see the deformation of the roof and pillars, but keep in mind, there's the weight of your truck on the roof the older suff just plain pancaked and either trapping you or killing you outright. what's your life worth?

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Armored trucks don't keep you from getting a heart attack either. When god wants you home, you're going.
I appreciate your concerns towcat. I would really really rather have a complete swap myself, but it doesn't look playable.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you need to have a diesel title in Tx? If not there has got to be a blown up gasser half ton truck down there somewhere you can pick up for next to nothing. All you have to do is swap the harness out of your cab into the other cab.

I feel ya man. I went through this. At the end of the day I ended up pot committed and just fixed mine. If you still have the motor troubles, seriously I'd just walk away from it. It seems like you are lacking in facilities to do a major project. I understand I was in the same boat until a couple years ago. Sometimes you just have to know when to say when. I hate to discourage anyone from working on their truck but unless you have a major attachment to it, I think you have given this one every chance to live.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Sounds like you've been following this build... Not really a diesel title but it does list it on the title. Not worried about that, already got it taken care of. Crappy cab I still need to fix, $230. A good clean one I don't have to anything to, $400. Parts trucks don't show up often. People are really holding on to them. Found a good one or two at lkq....BUT THEY WILL CRUSH THEM AND NOT SELL THEM!!!
As far as the engine goes, other than a blown head gasket and blow by, she runs and her valley is very clean. I think after some head work and gaskets, even studs it'll be fine.
I've thought about walking or running away but I'm to deep and would lose my ass off if I tried to give it away.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
I should add, my garage is a canvas canopy from Walmart and tarp from harbor freight as walls. If it was just engine problems, no issue or just bad cab, no problem... But its both and its also where. Patch panels are easy to come by, just not where I need. Doesn't help that I'm looking for parts for two trucks and don't have the cash to do it....like I need a blue dash, visors, and pillars for my '89. Found them but the dash is cracked behind the bezels where the screw mounts are.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
So what will it be boys? $400 is hard to drop....especially when you don't have it but when it could go at any moment.....Like I said, LKQ has them but won't sell them thinking its part of the chassis. How can I convince a yard manager to give it up?

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
According to the call center, Its up to the yard manager to decide. I don't know. I should of talked to them sunday but didn't get a chance to.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
They used to sell whole cars (Well what was left of them lol)
I thought it had became a liability issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's vin switching and generally frowned upon. If the have already scrapped the titles, they may not legally be able to sell it to you. Vin and title goes with the cab.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Whatever its called, The vin is also on EVERY body panel made now and on the chassis. So, If you change a fender does that mean you have to change the title? No. The cab is just another body panel. I honestly don't care who doesn't like it. I know that its not stolen property and can prove it. I know where the vin plates are. Or, If I take an entire body off one truck and put it on the other, do I keep the body title or chassis title? What if the body is a 350 and chassis 150? There are so many variables in that....
If the vin is not on the cab, what ties it to the title? Vin plate on firewall under hood, door jamb, and dash. Crewcabs have the vin sticker on the doors. People buy dashs all the time. And the tag on the firewall comes off with a Philips screw...