Weird thick smoke before first drive of the day

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every morning never fails if I start the truck and let it idle longer than 3-4 minutes and then give it a small rev a massive thick whitish brown black cloud comes out then it’s clear the rest the day. It smells heavily of burnt oil too. Maybe cdr? I just put a new one on about a year ago but maybe it’s time for a new one again

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My first guess would be valve seals. I think that it's rare that a CDR actually goes bad.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's probably more like the oil gets burned out of the cylinders. It will only seep past the seals with no pressure in the cylinders. The engine only has no cylinder pressure when the it's not running. The oil only has gravity to push it past the seals while even a very low compression gas engine has WAY more pressure in the cylinders.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't let it idle? Idling is bad for it anyway. Does it run smooth ?

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What can you tell us about the truck? Year? Miles? Turbo or n/a? What do you know about it’s maintenance history? Does it idle smooth at start up? Does the cold idle advance solenoid work?

White smoke can be unburnt fuel or coolant as well. Burning oil usually has a bluish tint. If it’s fuel, maybe you have an injector or two that are not closing all the way until it warms up? Or really poor spray pattern that’s not giving a complete burn until there’s enough heat in the cylinder to light it off.

Adding some of the above information will be helpful with internet diagnostics.

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought it about 20k miles ago. N/A newer cdr 5 speed Manuel. I like to let it idle until high idle and advance kick off. Maintenance before me no idea. I do have a spare motor with 150k on it but I’m not ready to swap them yet. Not losing coolant am using about a quart of oil every 300 miles

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One odd thing is it will blow black smoke above 2800 rpm no matter how low I turn fuel down. Well aside from it being so low it will barely drive

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
This may not help with the oil consumption, but instead of turning the fuel down, try advancing the timing to see if that helps with the black smoke over 2800.

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I advanced it about the width of the line on the pump it moved the black smoke to around 3,000 and up. Does feel like there is more power now tho. Starts a little harder though. Insta lead of just bumping the starter And it firing it takes about one or two revolutions

macs

macs
Reaction score
A quart of oil every 300 miles is a lot of oil! Because of that, I think it is probably oil buildup in the cylinders due to faulty valve seals.

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also black smoke ya still there at the high rpm but when I’m working her hard she doesn’t get that awful hot smell. Just normal hot manifold smell