weight

harley152

Reaction score
Ok, how much does a Dmax motor weigh???? I have found a fair deal on a '63 plymouth former drag car, less motor(not too many 413's around any more), and was thinking of a one of a kind street sleeper---I know the cummins is way too heavy for the front end(and too tall and long). I don't know much about the Dmax though---any input appreciated.

Jerry

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Jerry

I posted a question over on dieselplace to find an answer. I would like to know as well since my next project is similar to yours. I have a 1966 Impala SS 396 waiting for a frame off. Since it doesn't have an engine, it's going to get a Duramax in the engine bay. Haven't decided which tranny yet. I'm leaning toward an Allison 5 spd at this point. I'm also probably going to use an LLY engine. Lot's of aftermarket support and less emisions crap to get rid of. I think about 450 HP and 750ft/lbs of torque with a 300,000 mile life expectancy in a 4500 lb car ought to fill the bill. It will look completely stock with the exception of wheels and tires, but have a substantially beefed frame along the lines of an F41 police suspension package. I already have a lot of components picked out and some shops in mind for work that I can't do. Now I just have to get my daughter off to college so I can start it.;Sweet

Tom

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Jerry

Got an answer already. Guess it helps when there are literally hundreds of people looking at a site at once. That is one nice thing about the Chevy site. Answers come almost immediately. Anyway, the answer I got is the engine is roughly 1000 lbs and the Allison tranny is "around" 300 lbs.

As a side note, just a casual observation, but it looks like any place that a big block will fit will take a Duramax. Length a width look to be about the same, but height may be an issue. Haven't done any measuring yet though. Nice thing is making vertical room won't be a problem.

Tom

Last edited:

rubberfish

Reaction score
I'm no expert on D-Max's
but I think that weight is off a bit.
I've heard them to way under 840lbs.
And harley152, I think it's a great idea.
The only give-a-way will be a 4" exhaust. :peelout

Last edited:

harley152

Reaction score
Wow---lets see---cummins is around 1100lbs of iron and too long and too tall to do the job----I can't believe the little Dmax with aluminum heads and about the size of a bb chevy motor can weigh 1000 lbs. I thought the old 454 with iron heads was around 600 lbs---correct me if I'm wrong.

Jerry

rubberfish

Reaction score
I don't know about the BB Chev, but in my poking around,
I found 840 to be the common number for the D-Max.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I thought 1000 seemed a bit much as well, but I really had no idea. I think 840 does sound better. If I remember right, that was one of the Dmax's original selling points "a lighter, stronger engine".

Tom

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing to consider is that the Allison is a rather large transmission, so you may have to massage the floorpan a bit. Let us know how the project goes. I've been evnisioning a modded duramax in a rwd car for awhile now.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Only thing to consider is that the Allison is a rather large transmission, so you may have to massage the floorpan a bit. Let us know how the project goes. I've been evnisioning a modded duramax in a rwd car for awhile now.

Haven't done any measuring yet. The Allison's size is of concern to me as well. I may have to use a ZF6. All I've got is time on this one. I've got the car with the engine out already so I've got lots of measuring to do before I tear it apart.

Tom

harley152

Reaction score
I hear good things about the allison, but what I really want is a good old m22 muncie or maybe a 5-speed manual---I'm 55 years old and so far only had 1 automatic in my life and didn't like it!!!

Jerry

rubberfish

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of autos either Jerry,
but after driving my FIL's '05 D/max alli
all I can say is wow, they're nice. :)

imfixinmopars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first,NOTHING looks meaner than a 413-426 super stock w/ cross ram and maxie exhaust,but,go with a th400 or a 4-5 speed manual,that will handle the tq. the allison shifts to stupid to be fun like a 400 or a 4spd.consider a hemi 833 4spd.there the strongest,and well,its a mopar,YAH!coversion might be a little hard,but a allison is sooo big,it might touch the dash,ha ha,good luck.