Water separator bowl brass knurled drain nut, leaking.

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have the OEM screw on bowl. Thing is leaking a heavy drip about every 5 seconds. I can only assume that it’s dripping right out of the middle and not running down to there and then dripping. I don’t have the tube hooked up anymore so perhaps that has something to do with it too? Now, if I’m not mistaken there is an o-ring in there, correct? I don’t want to just keep cranking it tighter at this point.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purty sure inside...
Fill in the specs on yer truck in your sig line, so we can figure out your issues.

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purty sure inside...
Fill in the specs on yer truck in your sig line, so we can figure out your issues.
I tore it apart and yeah it’s inside. It’s inset on the retaining nut which screws to the other end of the stem of the brass draincock. As you screw counterclockwise it lowers itself against the inside of the sediment bowl to make the seal.

I can see my signature line, is it not showing up for everyone else? You’re the second one to mention it.

Thanks!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dis
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230203_140703_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230203_140703_Chrome.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 5

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dis
You must be registered for see images attach
Well that’s weird. “CalIDI” right above you can see it. Are you on mobile maybe? Not that it should matter. Not sure, sorry about that. She’s a 1993 F350 with a 7.3L non turbo IDI with a ZF5.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fekkin Verizon
No worries bud.
Ya fix the issue?
No more dust control :thumbsup:

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fekkin Verizon
No worries bud.
Ya fix the issue?
No more dust control :thumbsup:
It was 1 degree yesterday so it’s todays project! It’s a square edge o-ring like these. https://www.mcmaster.com/o-rings/cross-section-shape~square/

I have decided to just make the switch to the NAPA gold WIX filter that eliminates the bowl. That bowl also has a schrader valve on it that gets depressed when you screw in the draincock. It’s an interesting design, but has a few weak spots. 3 different places for leaks at the low points.