Water/**** injection

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yah, I think Travis did hydrolock his. I hadn't hear about Rob's aluminum-destruction extravaganza tho... :D

There's a report out of Volvo or Saab-Scania too....proven increase in MPG.

To get better MPG, you have to keep the droplets large enough so that they DON'T evaporate in the intake (i.e. before reaching the cylinder).

For lowering EGT, perhaps a superfine mist that turns to vapor in the intake is OK....I don't know.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Markinter said:
I installed the injection kit on Sat before heading out on a 3400 mile trip and so far so good. I used just water at first to see how things went and I didn't notice much difference in power but I did notice cooler temps on the regular temp gauge and the hot metal nose gauge. Using water and **** I noticed a definate power increase, not huge but noticeable. I need to install a 10 gallon tank to hold enough water so I don't have to fill up as often. I can post some pics if anyone is interested.

The Baker grade ( I-15 )heading toward Vegas has 2 sections, the first and longest section I took using water only and had to downshift into 5. The 2nd section using water/**** was 6th gear and 65mph over the top ;Sweet

:thumbsup:

Hey that's pretty neat. :angel:

:hail to you for throwing your prized DT into "experimental" status. LOL

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duke said:

:hail to you for throwing your prized DT into "experimental" status. LOL

yeah! Where would we be without sacrificial lambs? uhh...I mean guinea-pigs... uhh....volunteers ??

LOL LOL

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
After 700+ miles no ill affects. Heading to Boise from Salt Lake City now, might hit some snow.

Duke, how many lbs of boost do you get while driving normally through the gears vs putting the pedal down? And how much when just cruising?

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck goes no higher than 16lbs. Usually ~5-10lbs when cruising.

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
Duke said:
My truck goes no higher than 16lbs. Usually ~5-10lbs when cruising.

Thanks Duke,

The boost switch that activates injection is adjustable from 4 to 15lbs and I think its factory set at 10lbs. The weather here(Twin Falls Idaho) is cold and rainy so I haven't been using the kit much unless there is a good grade.

Next stop Boise.

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm back home after 3,600 miles :puke: . What a trip, I hit snow, hail, rain, and major wind :eek: . A section of I-80 closed west of Laramie WY due to snow so I took a by-pass on a narrow 2 lane with oncoming trucks @70mph in snowy conditions and no shoulder on the road cookoo towing a trailer. Definatly a white knuckle 97 miles. I got back on the I-80 and headed uphill to an ice and snow covered road in the dark with no chains :idiot: . The downhill side was worse then the uphill side.

As far as the water injection went, it all worked good except the hose to the boost switch came off so i clamped it.

Glad to be home ;Sweet

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what's the verdict, Mark?

Think it's worth it?

Or would it be better to see what it does in summer (hot) weather?

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
Duke said:
So what's the verdict, Mark?

Think it's worth it?

Or would it be better to see what it does in summer (hot) weather?

I think the real test will be the summer heat and I have yet to try a 50/50 water to alky mix. After I get the gauges installed I'll know some hard facts.

$180 for a 200 degree drop in egts seems worth it just by itself if that what it turns out to be. We shall see :Sly .

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the estimated power increase? 30HP? Go conservative, I hate overblown SOP estimates! LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dozer said:
yah, I think Travis did hydrolock his. I hadn't hear about Rob's aluminum-destruction extravaganza tho... :D.

Travis, get down here and defend yourself! LOL

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ok I'm a little slow on seeing this thread but here goes...

Hello I'm Goat Boy and I'm an W/M inject addict.

(room : Welcome Goat Boy)

(Sponsor : So Goat Boy how long you been clean and sober?)

Since I star cracked my pistons and cried myself to sleep that night - last Labor Day coming home from GEO's place in North Carolina.

(room : gasp!)

(Sponsor : My my can you give us details of the ordeal?)

Well let me explain the system to ya...

One nozzle 0.17 GPM (shoot a fine mist when activated in the air out side engine compartment)

One lock off solenoid purchased from McMaster Carr that when power is applied it opens to allow flow - No power = No Flow.

One pressure sender to trigger the lock off solenoid (7psi is rated pressure but once warm can trigger as late as 9.5psi - never triggered at a lower pressure than 7psi) Max boost on an IDI 11.5 (wastegate opens - IDI's are low boost engines not like the Cummins or PSD's of the world).

One pump (pressure setting was 100psi) can't remember GPM rating on pump but want to say it was 1.7gpm...

Flip the switch and she was armed and dangerous, once boost hit correct level you would feel a little more push (not much mind you - not much at all but was there) would notice a little more "Diesel" sound from under the hood.

EGT's achieved were still about the same if you held your foot to the floor and tickled the injectors but they climbed at a slower rate.

Now pulling a load is where it really showed it's stuff. The extra push would help ya on the hills and the lowered egt's were nice (like I said if you held foot to floor they really weren't that much lower just got there later) While towing if I did not use the extra power then the EGT's were lower - but if you got it use it is my theory or was I should say...

System was installed for about 1 month (give or take) and around 2~3k miles made one big pull with TT on back (and some short runs around here locally) to NC and back (well most of the way back) about 1/2 way back she started knocking on one of the hills outside of Lexington, KY and I said the heck with it and drove home (wee hours of the morning - shut off system) got home and started looking at the carnage... Slapped it back together and sold it to another member on TDS (and here now).

So all that want to go the H2O, W/M or WW route - Have fun I'll watch from the sidelines. :popcorn

Last edited:

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
What I need to do is find a consistant grade and set my poorman's cruise control ;) and then hit the switch with a 50/50 mix and then see what happens to the speedo. I could try to find a dyno but that would be too presice cookoo and wouldn't want that LOL .

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Don't know how long a post you can have so here is part two...

Upon teardown I found that the edges of the swirl chamber (for lack of a better word) were eaten away by the water or whatever else - sorry I don't think I have pictures still but will look here in a minute...

Motor only had 70k miles on it - YES 70K Miles... So engine was fresh in the diesel world...

Engine was only 2.5 years old - again young engine.

All of the fuel system was new as well - actually had even less miles on it than the engine it's self. Don't truly remember that mileage as I gave away all reciepts (went with The Enterprise)

Engine was in correct time - Set by a gauge at local diesel shop.

Engine did hit RPMS that made Mel (agnem) give his classic oooo sound (sitting worried in the side seat) Red line means nothing to me... :peelout

EGT's and Boost were both always watched like a hawk watching a field mouse. Did not want to go into what I affectionally call Thermo-nuclear-meltdown.

Talked with Ken at DPS and he said he thinks I created too much pressure in the combustion chamber which took it's final toll on the engine - first thought was I was putting in too much water. Do the conversion and it comes out to 10.2 GPH you be the judge considering most off the shelf systems that are marketed for all diesels ring in at 10GPH... Me I don't know what I did wrong....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online