Water in fuel light

Adrenaline73

Reaction score
So I just bought my first 2004 6.0 Powerstroke it has 183,400 on it. I driver it home about 30 minutes. It was running great but on the first hill with some bumps the water in fuel light came on and it stumbled and had no power but it still got to the top of the hill. Then I let off the throttle and it was back to normal. Got it home shut it off when to start it. Just cranked over and finally it started up. Then made it to blocks and it stumbled and died. It try’s to start but seems like it’s starving for fuel or that is has air in the fuel system? Any help would great appreciated

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your water in fuel light is I'd look at your primary fuel filter the one on the frame driver's side drain the water out also listen after wards make sure you can hear the fuel lift pump cycling

Adrenaline73

Reaction score
If your water in fuel light is I'd look at your primary fuel filter the one on the frame driver's side drain the water out also listen after wards make sure you can hear the fuel lift pump cycling

okay thank you I’ll start then and report back

Adrenaline73

Reaction score
So I got on the tuner and check it pulled some for cylinder 5 injector but that was it fuel filter have been changed but I noticed a crack in the top of the fuel filter lid and it has some diesel coming out of it would that have anything to do with it?

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low fuel pressure will ruin EXPENSIVE injectors.
Fix that crack ASAP.

Also, you said you replaced the fuel filter ................. Did you replace BOTH or only one? The one on the frame rail is the primary fuel filter. It also removes water from the fuel. Since it filters, removes water, AND pumps .... it is called a fuel conditioning module. The trucks have it in a horizontal position and the vans have it in a vertical position. That is why (on the trucks) the whole unit is called an HFCM (Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module).

Lastly, did you drain the water by removing the water drain plug?

That pump is your ONLY fuel pump, so you need to keep it working well. Drain the water EVERY oil change and EVERY fuel filter change ...... at a minimum (even when the light isn't on)! If you still have the plug that requires a 6mm allen wrench, then you need to upgrade to another drain plug. The allen wrench plug strips VERY easily.

https://www.xtremediesel.com/hfcm-w...MI1PW9lPXd6AIVka_ICh3F8Qy-EAQYAiABEgKmIfD_BwE

If the cap is cracked, you can even pull air in. That air can cause the engine to shutdown from weak fuel supply (as well as also contribute to EARLY injector failure).

Since you have an injector code, you may already have damaged injectors. BTW no tuner will read codes very thoroughly. For $40 you can download ForScan to a smartphone and buy the required OBDII adapter to communicate with the PCM. It is a powerful tool.

Every owner of a 6.0L truck (or van) needs to install a fuel pressure sensor and gauge. There are so many ways for the fuel pressure to drop and, as stated above, that will ruin injectors that cost $200 apiece.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online