Wastegate not activating

Mudsling

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum so excuse me if I am not in the right page. I just rebuilt the Holset HX35W turbo on my 5.9l 12 valve Cummins. When I rev the engine the wastegate arm does not move. I traced the line going into a port on top of the injection pump (some solenoid looking thing). I put my finger over the port as I rev the engine and nothing happens, there is no vacuum. Am I missing something.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diesel engines do NOT produce vacuum. You can rev it to the redline and no vacuum. This is why there are vacuum pumps for the brakes and/or the Heater/AC. The wastegate is boost operated, as 79jasper stated.

Mudsling

Reaction score
Ok thanks I learned something. So the tube that goes into the wastegate goes into a T and the other side goes into the intake. This T is at the end of a solenoid. How do I make this line work so that the wastegate operates? I apologize for my ignorance!

Last edited:

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Normally you only need a hose from the intake manifold to the wastgate actuator. That simple, no T's needed. Where does the other hose off the T go to? A dash gauge for boost?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Normally you only need a hose from the intake manifold to the wastgate actuator. That simple, no T's needed. Where does the other hose off the T go to? A dash gauge for boost?
Goes to the AFC. Basically like the smoke puff eliminator.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mudsling

Reaction score
If you look, the hose goes to the wastegate and the small line goes to the intake. When I rev the engine nothing happens to the wastegate actuator (does not move at all) I don't have a boost gauge. This truck is bone stock.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Mudsling

Reaction score
79Jasper, Ok I get it. So you are saying that the actuator won't move unless the truck is under load. So then the rebuilt is good. I replaced HX35 exhaust housing and wastegate, and I got the rebuild kit all from turbo lab America. I took the truck for a ride and it sounds great and runs great. Thank you so much for the information. I am so grateful for people like you that have the knowledge and are willing to share with the rest of us. Thank you.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
As another tidbit, many guys with cranked up pumps actually disconnect the Wastegate and tie it closed for more boost. So long as it wasn't stuck open, you should be good to go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online