Wastegate adjustment.

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

Just finished installing a factory turbo setup on my 92 7.3 Idi

I'm very happy with the results, it's running excellent....but if possible I would like to increase the boost a little.

Right now I'm running between ,7-8 psi. From what I've read, it seems that that max is 15psi did an NA engine.

I would like to run between 10-12...
Would appreciate some input...do you guys feel this is a safe range?

Secondly, how exactly do I adjust the boost? I know that you have to shorten the actuator rod, but from what I've read there's something I have to drill out?

Would really appreciate it if someone could go into detail on this adjustment....

Thank you:)

Benny

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Cut the little hose from the front of the turbo to the actuator on the back. Then plug. Theres a spring in there that should hold 10-12psi boost. Wire that rod back for added fun

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically, what everyone else said:
1. Just disconnect the waste gate, if you've got a 7.3. you can handle 15 PSI without issue.
2. Crank the fuel up as much as you can. The factory turbo can use all of the fuel a stock pump can provide.
(I'm actually running a 110CC pump with stock turbo on my '93(avatar), and it does pretty nicely. 250 wheel HP(vs 125 NA)? It does pretty good.)

3. Adjust timing if needed(unless it's a new IP, some adjustment is warranted) - the turbo may like it slightly more retarded than when the truck was NA. On the other hand, if you haven't played with the timing before, it'll probably need some advance - as the IP and injectors wear, the timing becomes retarded over time.

I'd expect 160-180 at the wheels from a stock IP and turbo, perhaps up to 200 if things are perfectly tuned.

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Sounds easy enough! I have a boost guage so I will start playing with the fuel and wastegate today.

I was a little uneasy about increasing the boost to 15psi because my engine is a NA engine....but if you guys are confident it can handle it then I'll just go for it!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Really seems no different between 7.3 na/idit. They both have the same issue of headgaskets not holding. (Technically head bolts)
Now if you said 6.9 vs 7.3, my answer would be the same. Smaller head bolts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

shawn deere

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

Just finished installing a factory turbo setup on my 92 7.3 Idi

I'm very happy with the results, it's running excellent....but if possible I would like to increase the boost a little.

Right now I'm running between ,7-8 psi. From what I've read, it seems that that max is 15psi did an NA engine.

I would like to run between 10-12...
Would appreciate some input...do you guys feel this is a safe range?

Secondly, how exactly do I adjust the boost? I know that you have to shorten the actuator rod, but from what I've read there's something I have to drill out?

Would really appreciate it if someone could go into detail on this adjustment....

Thank you:)

Benny
Just currious, did you pull the studs out of the passenger side exhaust manifold where it bolts to the Y pipe? The factory studs have a pesky built in nut that holds the Y pipe from sealing up. - causing a suuuuper lack of boost

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Just currious, did you pull the studs out of the passenger side exhaust manifold where it bolts to the Y pipe? The factory studs have a pesky built in nut that holds the Y pipe from sealing up. - causing a suuuuper lack of boost

I actually didn't....I just used the factory studs that were in there...I haven't noticed any lack of boost though, I get up to 8 when I stomp on it....should I be getting more? Have u had this happen before?

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Wait nevermind, I did replace the passenger side studs....I got the driverside and passenger side mixed up.

shawn deere

Reaction score
Wait nevermind, I did replace the passenger side studs....I got the driverside and passenger side mixed up.
Good good. Yup. Mine was leaking there when i bought it. Could get max 7lbs at WOT 4th gear almost redline.
Now i can hit 10# at 2,000rpm - luggin hard mind you

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was a little uneasy about increasing the boost to 15psi because my engine is a NA engine....but if you guys are confident it can handle it then I'll just go for it!

Well... both the NA and turbo 7.3 blocks had the same head bolts, which are the weak link. I've heard tell that they tend to not hold around 20 PSI, but I'm sure it depends on fuel.

So far, the bolts in my '93 are holding, with the 15 or so PSI of boost out of my turbo. It might be more, but if I floor it in high gear, the clutch slips at about 2500 RPM and the RPMs skyrocket. So I'm not sure how much actual boost I "could" get with this setup.

I do hear that you can get a Wicked Wheel for the factory turbo, which definitely helps lower-end spooling and such.

If you get to doing major engine work on your 7.3, or have to replace a head gasket for any reason(they *do* fail occasionally, NA or otherwise), get a set of ARP headstuds.
Expensive, but moves the maximum boost-before-blown from 20-ish PSI to (unknown) - The highest I've heard of a 7.3 with studs running was 47 PSI(Justin@R&D), and the connecting rods couldn't take it at that point.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I bought my studs from Justin because his were about $100 cheaper than the ARP's.

shawn deere

Reaction score
I bought my studs from Justin because his were about $100 cheaper than the ARP's.
Me too! Check your stuff before you install though.... was short two washers and installed with locktite - had to complete torque sequence before the lock tite set up...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online