Warrenty Question....

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Was just wondering, a friend of mine is looking at an 03 3500 dually with the LB7 under the hood. Truck has 60,025 miles on it. He called a local GMC dealer that told him the motor & trans (allison 5 speed) are covered for 7yr/100k. The truck has the Edge Juice with Attitude on it & the seller says he chose that particular programmer because it didn't void any of the original truck warrenties. Claims to have literature stating as much. GMC says that if there is literature to that effect, they will honor the warrenty. The edge has 5 levels & there is a 6th that could be purchased but that 6th level would void ALL warrenties so the current owner did not purchase it. Only other mods to the truck are an MBRP 4" duals, slightly larger tires on stock rims & torsion bar keys to level the truck.

So is there any truth to any of whats been laid out here? Does the Edge allow power & warrenty to live together happily?

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
It should be 5yrs 100K mile engine warrenty. The trans was out at 3yrs 36K just like the rest of the pickup. Unless it has an extended warrenty. The injectors are 7yrs 200K. Any type of power adder can/will void the warrenty. GM has a big tech bulliten out about power adders and voiding warrenty. Usually though if any work is needed just take the edge off before going in the the dealer.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but I know nothing about Dmax motors or the ECM that controls it, is the Edge that easy to remove & will it leave any signs in the ECM that it was there? I had always believed power adders left some sort of evidence behind when they were removed. I saw some pictures on flea-bay of the juice box under the hood which looked pretty easy to take out but the attitude is flush mounted in the overhead console which looks to be something from edge products. Would a VIN check at the local dealer verify the actual warranties on the truck? I guess I'm asking all these questions because I'm kinda interested in the truck too, provided my buddy decides to pass on it. Not really in the position to do anything but you never know.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
The edge is simple to remove, just unplug the 2 bail connectors on the motor and its gone. The attitude monitor and EGT probe are harder to take care of. It just takes a little time to remove it all though. The only trace it would leave is the hole for the egt probe, that could be covered by saying your working on installing gauges. Downloaders do leave some trace, but unless someone really digs deep it's hard to find.

Usually the dealer won't mind the power adder until it's time for a warrenty claim... Especially if the area rep has to ok it. GM is being hard enough to deal with on known issues like the injectors without throwing the Edge in...

If you have the dealer run the VIN you can get a history on it (similar to Fords OASIS report) and it will tell you the entire claim history and current warrenty status. Chances are it could have an extended warrenty on it that covers the entire drivetrain. If it does, a power adder wouldn't make much difference I don't think.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Scott

I don't believe the LB7 ECM will tell on you if you have changed the programming. Like others have said, I'm sure they could find it if they dig hard enough. Possibly the 06's and definately the LMM's will tell on you as soon as the tech plugs in his scanner. Although I have not done exhaustive research, I have not heard or read of a progrmmer that doesn't void the engine warranty. 'Course a lot of that depends on how much the dealer chooses to not see.

Be carefull with the Edge product. Even though it seems to be the answer to unleashing the power and monitoring engine functions, if not used "responsibly", it could spell early death to the Ally with no modifications.

If you're really interested, check out http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php
for your Duramax education. Almost 70,000 registered users. Weeks worth of reading.

Tom

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard others say that if you have a hole where a pyro meter was installed it voids the warranty