VSS quit working

jacobbingham

Reaction score
My truck is a 92 f250 7.3 e4od 4x4 where is the vss? i replaced the one in the rear end and it worked for about 2 minutes and shifted crappy. i pulled the new one out and its gummed up with gear oil could this be the cause?

jacobbingham

Reaction score
can anyone help this really has me stumped... i changed the gear oil it was bad but it did the same thing do i have the right one or could it be bad? Also whats the sensor on the t-case? I dont have cruise control XL model.:dunno

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
My truck's speedo was bouncing everywhere and being erratic. I've seen issues with the PSOM causing issues. You can pull codes from the abs module and see if you have a vss code. i believe its code 9.

I thought my PSOM was bad on my truck. After chasing it down over the course of a few days. I found the red wire was broken partially up by the harness. acutally fixed that tonight.

jacobbingham

Reaction score
it was weird because it just happened after sitting for a few days also i adjusted my TPS today right before it did all this could that have caused it? Its adjusted to .80 closed(idle) and 3.68 open(WOT) is that right?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jacobbingham

Reaction score
Just to make sure i have one of them multimeters from advanced the 7 setting one and was wondering which setting to put it on just to make sure i have the correct setting.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
VDC the lowest setting you have. Some meters lowest setting is 0 to 50, some are 0 to 12. As long as it's a digital meter so you can see the numbers.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 clicks the the left on that one.
20 V --- (straight line.)

the TPS shouldn't be effecting the speedo no.but it could also be causing a code.it needs to be set correctly.
being so far out off im not sure what happens actually.doesn't matter much.right now you want to set it correctly so it's no longer part of the equation.
in other words,in your attempt to fix the speedo,you caused another issue by adjusting your TPS incorrectly.so for starters correct your mistake.then get back to the speedo issue.:)

the jumping speedo could be the VSS.the wires going to it,dirty connection,the ring tone in the rear axle,or the whatchacallit :D up by the gauge.
of course the fuse too.:D

jacobbingham

Reaction score
Ill have to check the fuse but i do know that the clip is broke on one side and is kinda loose. Where could i get the clip? Also i adjusted the TPS before i touched the VSS. The truck sat for 2 days then i adjusted the sensor (dont know if it means anything). After the adjustment of the TPS i drove it down the road and it shifted smooth like it should for a little then the speedo started bouncing and stopped working then it shifted crazy i wasnt far from home so i limped home.:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The tps on the drivers side of the injection pump must be set for a minum of .96 to 1.2 volts at key on engine off and at the idle setting. Please warm up the engine before making these adjustments. The fast idle and injection upmp internal advance must be off also. The middle wire is the wire at the switch you take the voltage reading off of. The .96 reading wil give a very soft shift and the higher 1.2 volts wil give a firmer shift. Your in limp home mode with the harsh shifting now and the trans will not live long shifting break neck hard. Its designed to just get you off the road and to the dealer for repairs. Its not for daily driving...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online